Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 10:33:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Volunteers Needed - UK Members

Started by Anmer, February 13, 2013, 06:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anmer

As some of you may be aware, Flightradar24.com has developed its own Mode-S receiver.  You can read more details here.

The receiver has been developed by the makers of the Mode-S Beast.  It's compact (measuring just 100x60x30mm) and connects directly to your router/modem by Ethernet cable.  It doesn't need a PC to run and is supplied with a power supply, external Mode-S antenna, all cables including a GPS antenna for data timing precision.

Industry standard, decoded data is available on port 30003 for use with PlanePlotter, adsbScope, Virtual Radar Server and other aircraft tracking software. 

The GPS provides precision timestamps and location position for accurate plotting of non-ADS-B aircraft, often referred to as Multilateration or Mlat.

Flightradar24 is currently running Mlat trials in Scandinavia and wants to extend this to the UK and is looking for a dozen volunteers to create an initial Mlat network for testing purposes.  Volunteers will be sent a receiver free-of-charge.  They will also be able to use Flightradar's Premium including RadarView.

You should be willing to mount the supllied external antenna or use your existing setup.  You also need to be connected to the Internet 24x7.

If you're interested, please complete the online application form:

http://www.flightradar24.com/free-ads-b-equipment

In the Country field please enter "UK (Mlat Trial)".

Flightradar24 will send you further information direct.

[Attachment deleted by Admin to save file space]
Here to Help.

Brian

Another photo of the box

[Attachment deleted by Admin to save file space]

Brian

Same info and Some more info on the FR24 box on this thread.
http://radarspotting.com/forum/index.php/topic,2027.0.html

Anmer

Quote from: Brian on February 13, 2013, 06:31:24 PM
Couldn't see anything on the FlightRadar24.com website or Forum to read more details about the MLAT testing offer. I searched on the page for "UK (Mlat Trial)" did get any hits for it.

Who said you could?

"As some of you may be aware, Flightradar24.com has developed its own Mode-S receiver.  You can read more details here."

I don't read anything in that link description that mentions Mlat testing?

Time you got some new glasses Brian.
Here to Help.

Brian

Is it over the network or USB port only , or both ways works ?

Quote from: Anmer on February 13, 2013, 06:14:09 PM
Industry standard, decoded data is available on port 30003 for use with PlanePlotter, adsbScope, Virtual Radar Server and other aircraft tracking software. 

Anmer

No USB port, Ethernet cable from receiver to router/modem.
Here to Help.

Brian

Ethernet cable would already be plugged in. Since the box needs to be running 24/7. {next step}

So you would take the FR24 Box device IP address and use port 30003 for the VRS software ?

btw... What is the USB/Slot port on the front of the box used for ?

Mike

USB in front will be used for extensions in the future. For example WiFi connection, second ADS-B receiver, AIS receiver, weather station, web cam.

The free receivers provided by FR24 are controlled by FR24, and extensions will be limited to these approved by FR24.
The receivers that will be sold on the market later, will be more open for public add-ons.

charliebrown

Hi Guys

Excuse my lack of knowledge about this technical stuff. 

I already upload to Flightradar24 from my PP / SBS-1er setup (and hence have Premium membership of FR24), so would there be any advantage to using the FS24 receiver and uploading the data to FR24?

Would I also need to disconect my SBS-1er or could both SBS-1er and FR24 receiver be run in tandem from a single antenna with splitting the signal ?

Regards

Charlie

Anmer

The advantage is you would be participating in the UK Mlat trials.

You can split the antenna signal between the SBS and FR24 receiver as long as it's an active splitter, delivering the same data to both.
Here to Help.

satcom

Looking forward to seeing the UK Mlats pop up  :)

Anmer

Quote from: satcom on February 14, 2013, 01:41:28 PM
Looking forward to seeing the UK Mlats pop up  :)

Since you're not participating in the trial I doubt you'll see them.
Here to Help.

satcom

Shame...must apply , I can run the receiver here in tandom with my existing kit.

Brian

I think he was saying he can't wait to see them like "When it goes public" aka after the Mlat trial....

satcom

Exactly Brian , with PP generating over 100,000 mlat fixes a day it will be great to see a second network doing the same......between the two we should have everything covered.

As I'm about the only person with five years direct experience of setting up an mlat network , I've applied anyway , perhaps I can help in some way.