Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 19, 2024, 09:36:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Adapters for Dongle's

Started by Milan, March 24, 2013, 10:46:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milan

Hi,

I have bought the following Dongle  http://bit.ly/YqhKXP

I think it has an "MCX" connection on it.
Can someone tell me what adapters I require to connect my GP1090 ( N Type ) antenna to it ?
A link to one one Ebay would be great
Dublin Airport Flight Tracker - www.airwavesireland.com

mhm

Mike
Colon Cancer Survivor for the Time Being

kered

its a shame you didn't get this from the same seller and save postage
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290424988201?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

then all you need is a N to SMA adapter, the short cable also takes strain of the connector plug

birdie

The connector is " Belling-lee " connector which is 75 Ohms.

Those countries with PAL TV standard used Belling-Lee Connector for their TV antenna.

You can use 75 Ohms coaxial cable all the way up to the antenna. But, at the base of the antenna, you need a 75 Ohms: 50 Ohms matching transformer to match your antenna

To give "Unique Coverage of WSSS" in www.Radarbox24.com !

kered

The conector is NOT a belling lee on the dongles its MCX. i have 3.
I also have a colinear made from the centre of 75ohm coax and a run of about 25meters of 75ohm sat cable, at the end is a F connector and then a F to SMA conected to the short cable on dongle and its worling fine, no transformer to 50 ohms
its not so critical on reception antennas as it is for transmition, and the 75ohm low loss cable i think outways the difference

Keef

I think the connector on the dongle is a Belling-Lee.

I've worked in the broadcast industry for 25 years and have that particular dongle so think I might be right.

Always happy to be proved wrong as that is what has made me better over the years!

Cheers,

Keef.

birdie

Older products have "Belling-lee" while newer ones have MCX connector.

My Hauppaugel Dongle has "Belling-Lee" connector - which I HATED !
To give "Unique Coverage of WSSS" in www.Radarbox24.com !

kered

the article says
Item specifics
Condition:    
New: A brand-new, unused, unopened and undamaged item in original retail packaging (where packaging is ... Read moreabout the condition   Brand:    Stick Realtek
Connector:    MCX connector    Model:    RTL2832U + R820T

also title of the addy 
DVB-T USB TV FM+DAB Radio Tuner Receiver Stick Realtek RTL2832U+R820T MCX

I have bought 6 from them in total and using 3 at moment, other 3 were for a friend without paypal

dongle

Re the question of whether you NEED a matching transformer to correct the mismatch between 50 ohm antenna and 75 ohm cable....

You will NEVER notice the difference. The loss is tiny, and since we are dealing with a receiver rather than a transmitter and there are no consequences to a slight mismatch, there is no point in worrying about it. You would need expensive laboratory equipment to discern the difference in signal strength and the effect in the range you can get will not be detectable.

G4UMW

Quote from: dongleYou will NEVER notice the difference.

Agreed. The insertion loss of a matching transformer will be far greater than the loss due to the mismatch between 50 ohm and 75 ohm cable. Some people are using 75 ohm satellite coax for their antenna feeder with excellent results, despite the impedance mismatch.
Rob/G4UMW

kered

I for one am using some sat 75ohm cable on my homemade colinear, the loss of the slight missmatch is far outweighed by the lower loss of the cable compared to say rg58 at a similar price.
Good for experimenting, Different if we were transmitting though

Quote from: G4UMW on April 16, 2013, 08:53:53 AM
Quote from: dongleYou will NEVER notice the difference.

Agreed. The insertion loss of a matching transformer will be far greater than the loss due to the mismatch between 50 ohm and 75 ohm cable. Some people are using 75 ohm satellite coax for their antenna feeder with excellent results, despite the impedance mismatch.

dongle

I used to use 75 ohm satellite coax on my 144 mhz, 50 watt transmitter. The swr was about 1.5 to 1 and I was putting out a cracking signal. Satellite coax is pretty good at 1090mhz too, since it is meant for frequencies of that sort. For the price, it can't be beaten, although on my dongle rx, I run a long USB cable of ten meters since that way, I lose nothing on the way down from my roof mounted home brew antenna and pre-amp.

Live feed from my E4000, dongle, home brew pre-amp and home brew ground-plane antenna. Located in Newcastle upon Tyne.

http://92.233.198.194:8080/virtualradar/GoogleMap.htm

kered

Hey dongle, forgot to mention, i'm from your end of the UK originally, just up the road from you in Blyth.

That setup is doing well, 3 more like that and you could cover all uk and ireland

G4UMW

I know Blyth! I spent several months as Radio Officer on a bulk carrier carrying coal from Blyth to the Thames and Medway power stations. We used to load at Bate's Wharf and drink in the Golden Fleece (now long gone).

Rob
Rob/G4UMW

dongle

Quote from: G4UMW on April 18, 2013, 12:22:13 PM
I know Blyth! I spent several months as Radio Officer on a bulk carrier carrying coal from Blyth to the Thames and Medway power stations. We used to load at Bate's Wharf and drink in the Golden Fleece (now long gone).

Rob

Quote from: kered on April 18, 2013, 10:38:16 AM
Hey dongle, forgot to mention, i'm from your end of the UK originally, just up the road from you in Blyth.

That setup is doing well, 3 more like that and you could cover all uk and ireland

Ha ha - It's a small world isn't it.

Funny thing about the set up is that it cost just a very few quid. The antenna and the pre-amp are home made and the dongle (E4000) cost about £20. My new one cost £7, but I haven't put that on yet. It's a more sensitive R820 one. I'm using the excellent RTL1090 software and Visual Radar.