Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 19, 2024, 09:35:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

ModeSDeco2 and ModeSMixer2 - console programs for RTLSDR and transcoding

Started by sergsero, August 09, 2013, 03:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aeroradio

Hello sergsero,

First, would like to thank you for ModeSdeco2, a very nice piece of software !
I have a question : even when running ModeSdeco2 for a day long, I never see the line "coverage area was determined" and every time I restart ModeSdeco2, it starts computing again the coverage area and drawing the diagram. Is there a way to stop this process and keep the last coverage data that was computed ?

Thanks.

aeroradio

sergsero

Hello aeroradio,

Modesdeco2 has two ways of determining a reference point for plotting coverage area diagram. The first uses the location coordinates, which are specified in command line when starting the program. This is the preferred way.
On the other hand, program always tries to calculate the location of receiver by performing analysis of the received coordinates from aircrafts. Typically, this value is sufficient to unambiguously identify of CPR zone.
If your antenna has a circular pattern, the calculated value in addition is close to the actual.

Current versions does not keep the last coverage data the antenna pattern after restart program.

Thanks,
sergsero

aeroradio

Thanks a lot, sergsero, for your explanations. Here, I use the location coordinates in the command line.

I thought it was possible to keep the last computed antenna pattern. By the way, this is not a problem, of course and, even more, could give the user a good indication on waves propagation changes as we observed here, a week ago.

Have a nice sunday !

aeroradio

caius

Hello Sergsero,

I've been using modesdeco2 on the raspberry pi, which so far is working well. The latest version (20150315) appears to be causing a problem with its beast output however. Previously planeplotter would work quite happily on this output, but this version causes it to crash on launch as soon as I activate processing.

Edit: Ignore me, it was my cock up. The IP address wasn't entered correctly. It's working again.

Radio2.0

>>> I looking for People who want exchange the VRS Data with me. <<<
I life near LOWW / VIE and see Ground Traffic too.

spotter.ssol

@Radio2.0  ;)

Quote from: sergsero on November 20, 2013, 08:39:04 AM
This software is just another one that works for SDR technology with RTL2832 DVB-T dongle. Does those or other characteristics of software its advantages, in my opinion, everyone decides for himself have firsthand knowledge.

Of the existing differences modesdeco with Andy's RTL1090 are:
- working with Basestation directly (c:\>modesdeco.exe --gain 49.6 --net 10001 --sbs10001 --location lat:lon),
- the program is designed for 24/7 work without supervision or control of the operator, so it has no GUI, and run from the command line without expending additional resources of computer.

The purpose of this publication was help me to test this software in regions with intensive air traffic and large number of the received Mode-S (ads-b) messages. Unfortunately, in my region there are no a large number of flight aircraft at a time.  If someone can help me, I'll very grateful to him. And it's does not require a change his habitual setup.
--

LSZH

Will there be in the future also for ModeSMixer2 a outSerial function ?

fat-tony

@sergsero,

I've registered on this forum to give you some feedback on my testing of modesmixer on the RPi receiving data from the Beast receiver. I had posted on the modesbeast group on Yahoo!, but I'm not sure that you are a regular visitor there. Anyway - my thoughts:

Congratulations on the new version - a brilliant implementation of the google api. The tabs are well laid out and informative. I'm using copies of the standard basestation db and also the flight route database which I use on my PP installation and they are working well. I particularly like the way the aircraft details pop out when you click on the map and the tooltips for the flight origin and destination and the metric conversions on altitude, speed etc.

The only minor presentation issues are font problems on Firefox (ubuntu 14.10) with the numeric characters on the stats page - the numbers 5 and 7 are lower in height than others. I'm assuming it's a rendering issue as it's ok on Chrome. (It seems to be related to the Robotica font implementation on ubuntu).

One typo on the stats page:

"Surveillance (rool call) Ident" should read "Surveillance (roll call) Ident"

The web server and db update do not seem to be causing too much of an impact on the CPU utilisation on the RPi over and above the standard modesmixer2 usage. The biggest impact is when I turn on my PP client and the TCP traffic on my desktop machine jumps from < 1KB/s (even with the web browser running) to ~ 30 KB/s. It may be the way the PP client pulls the data from modesmixer2 is very inefficient.

One actual bug (or is it a feature?) discovered. At the start of each hour on the "Charts" tab the total for the "Messages" value is reset to zero but the "Positions" total for that hour is not. I have been running for almost three days now. The memory usage is slowly increasing. Total memory used in the RPi is now about 86MB which is an increase from about 37Mb on Day 1. This is in contrast with no memory creep on the previous version of modesmixer2 with no db/web server support.

On Friday last (13th) My Raspberry Pi 2 arrived! I downloaded your multicore version of modesmixer2 and, with 40 aircraft and  500/600 mode-s messages/sec, I'm seeing < 20% CPU used! It's a real step-up in performance with 4 cores running at 900MHz and 1GB RAM.

Thanks for some excellent software!

Regards,

Joe (w2 and XS on Planeplotter)

edit - just noticed you posted an update on 1503, so I have downloaded that and will check if memory usage is still creeping up. I tested modesdeco2 also with my RTL stick. Excellent diagrams on the charts page of receiver coverage. One typo, though - Histrograms should read "Histograms"

thebaldgeek

Hello Sergsero,

First up, thanks for the great modesmixer program. Without, there would be many things I could not do and test. Very grateful for your time.

Like the previous post, I see a rather bad memory leak on at least the latest version.
This results in the program crashing and losing data.

Here is the command that I am using;

@echo off
cmd /c  modesmixer2.exe --inConnect 192.168.1.101:33005 --inConnect 192.168.1.102:34005 --inConnect 192.168.1.103:35005 --outServer beast:39005 --outServer msg:39006 --outServer sbs10001:33336
PAUSE
exit

I have 3 Raspberry Pi running dump1090-mutablity with different antennas, so want a master Beast(RAW) output, which you provide on  port 39005.
This feeds into my VRS and FR24.exe.
The msg port is for ModeSLogger
sbs10001 is for PlanePlotter (and my flightaware/planefinder feeds).

As you can see, your software is critical to making this work.

The attachment shows my windows task monitor over about 1/2 hour. The memory creep is modesmixer2.exe
After a while, it gets to max and then something makes it drop back down to normal. Its when it drops that it often (but not always) crashes.

Im running it on a Win7 64bit IBM laptop.

Please let me know if I can run any tests for you.

Again, thanks for your program and time.

I have

[Attachment deleted by Admin to save file space]

Radio2.0

Does anyone test Manual Gain vs. Auto Gain?

The are some ideas. Many Geeks fly around and want capture the hole ADSB Data for an funder replay.
Maybe you can do some Record and Replay for the Rawr ADSB Data and an offline Mode for the Map (for example offline Open Street View) with GPS Support.
>>> I looking for People who want exchange the VRS Data with me. <<<
I life near LOWW / VIE and see Ground Traffic too.

sergsero

Hello fat-tony,

Thanks for your testing and founded errors. Spelling errors I fixed that.
QuoteAt the start of each hour on the "Charts" tab the total for the "Messages" value is reset to zero but the "Positions" total for that hour is not.
Now I think that it is a feature :).

Thanks,
sergsero

sergsero

Hello thebaldgeek,

Thanks for your testing and founded errors. I am trying to find a memory leak and hope that the weekend will be a new version for testing.

Thanks,
sergsero

kidshare

I have this issue with modesdeco2 mapping, planes are hundreds and thousands of miles away

[Attachment deleted by Admin to save file space]

sergsero

Hello kidshare,

Do you use the version of modesdeco2 from 20150315 which is  in the first message of this thread and sets the coordinates of your location in option --location <arg>?

Early version, a screenshot of which you bring, has contained this bug of coverage area, which was corrected in new versions. Please, use actual version of modesdeco2 from http://radarspotting.com/forum/index.php/topic,2978.msg13471.html#msg13471.

Thanks,
sergsero

commar

Hi, I have OpenWrt router platform mpc85xx (Freescale P2020) is the ability to compile ModeSmixer2 or ModeSDeco2 for this platform?
Or provides the source code for my compilation?

Thanks for the answer ... Martin