Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 19, 2024, 11:18:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

ModeSDeco2 and ModeSMixer2 - console programs for RTLSDR and transcoding

Started by sergsero, August 09, 2013, 03:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sergsero

Hi Martin,

Unfortunately, under the terms of my employer, program code is not available. The opportunity to make a binary of modesmixer2 for your MIPS will be considered.

Thanks,
sergsero

kidshare

Hi sergsero,

I changed to ver. 3.15. yesterday, I was using one from February. I have always used the location option in the batch file. This map started 24 hours ago and so far no plots outside of the normal range, so far so good.

[Attachment deleted by Admin to save file space]

sergsero

Hello,

In the first message of this thread is new version of ModeSDeco2  v.20150321 and in the third message is new version of ModeSMixer2 v.20150323

The main changes in the code to avoid memory leaks. However, this needs to be tested.

Thanks,
sergsero

fat-tony

Thanks, sergsero. Have downloaded RPi2 version and will monitor memory usage.

thebaldgeek

Hello Sergsero,

Thanks for the new version, I have tested it out this morning for 3-4 hours.
Please see the attachment. The memory leak is the same.
I am using the same command line as last time.
(the --web command works on one PC, but not the other, I will look into that some more).

Thanks for taking the time to look into it.
Again, if there is any tests I can do for you, please let me know.

EDIT. A few moments after I posted this, I caught the program crash and it releasing the memory.
See the second screen shot for the drop in memory.

sergsero

Hello thebaldgeek,

I can't reproduce your problem. Why do you have such a high memory utilization? In my test setup (sorry, Russian only) not memory leak occurs. I continue to monitor:

Thanks,
sergsero

spotter.ssol

Quote from: fat-tony on March 16, 2015, 04:56:53 PM
I have been running for almost three days now. The memory usage is slowly increasing. Total memory used in the RPi is now about 86MB which is an increase from about 37Mb on Day 1. This is in contrast with no memory creep on the previous version of modesmixer2 with no db/web server support.
I've detected the same problem, but it seems to be solved in 20150321 version. I'm running modesdeco2 for 48+ hours and memory usage is steady at 43MB.
--

thebaldgeek

Hello Sergsero,

I have found direct link between Message rate and memory leak.

No leak overnight when message rate is less than 200 messages per second.
At day time, when many aircraft, message rate above 500 messages per second, the memory leak is bad.

I often have message rate of around 1500 messages per second and memory leak is very very bad.

Perhaps this is why you can not reproduce the problem, what message rate do you have?

@spotter.ssol, what message rate do you have?
I have tested 3 versions of modeSmixer2.exe and all versions have memory leak when message rate is above 500 messages per second.

EDIT: Added attachment to show my typical weekend message rate.
As I look at the memory graph and the message rate there is a clear link.

Sergsero, if you can try and raise your message rate, you should be able to reproduce the problem.
Once you hit 1000 messages per second, the leak is very bad.

spotter.ssol

@thebaldgeek

I'm sorry , but I'm running the RPi (Linux ARM) version. The leak I was referring is the one reported by @fat-tony.
--

fat-tony

@thebaldgeek - are you logging mode-A as well as mode-S messages? Suppressing mode-A will significantly reduce your message rate, but you may need these for some purpose. (in my area of sky there is sufficient mode-S and ADSB traffic  :) )

I'm running on ARM (RPi2) platform and confirm the memory leak is gone since version 201500321. I've monitored for two days now.

thebaldgeek

I have found that if I turn off '--outServer msg:39006' the memory leak is almost zero. 

In other words, I am not sure its the message rate, but the message type that is the issue.

Will keep trying to track it down.

Dmi3

ModeSMixer2 v.20150323
1st setup:
36 hrs run on ODROID U3 With following parameters: --inSerial /dev/ttyUSB0:3000000:hardware --outServer beast:30010 --web 8080

No changes for RAM consumption:
Private 3.14 mb + Shared 362.00 kb = 3.49 mb         modesmixer2
2nd setup:
ODROID U3 With following parameters: --inSerial /dev/ttyUSB0:3000000:hardware --outConnect beast:vrs-russia.DDNS.NET:XXXX --outServer beast:30010 --web 8080 --frdb flightroute.sqb --db basestation.sqb
After 1 hour:
Private 3.41 mb + Shared 321.00 kb = 3.73 mb         modesmixer2
After 12 hours:
Private 18.71 mb + Shared 342.00 kb = 19.05 mb         modesmixer2
After 18 hours:
Private 19.20 mb + Shared 338.00 kb = 19.53 mb         modesmixer2
After 84 hours:
Private 20.64 mb + Shared 346.00 kb = 20.97 mb         modesmixer2

eblot

Hi, any chance to add --inSerial option to modesdeco2, or a way to route modesmixer2 output to modesdeco2 input, so that receiver such as microadsb devices can be used with modesdeco2 the same way modesmixer2 is able to?

Thanks.

herrmann-s

just a question i am missing the option -- location in modesMIXER because i like the grafical output of the webinterface. are there any plans to add this feature to modesmixer2 like it is in modexdeco too?

fat-tony

You don't really need position information for modesmixer2 for the web interface. When you first zoom to your location using the map interface, a cookie is set with the location coordinates. If you disallow cookies in your browser, though, you may have an issue!