Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 08:10:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

ModeSDeco2 and ModeSMixer2 - console programs for RTLSDR and transcoding

Started by sergsero, August 09, 2013, 03:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sergsero

Hi Breitling,

- If you are interested in simultaneous reception of data in Mode S and Mode A/C, use the new version of MD2 from 20140428 - modesdeco2_windows_20140428.zip

+ changed options for output listen ports
- deleted option "--net <arg>"
+ modified decoding algorithm for DF18 (TIS-B) messages
+ modified the algorithm of automatic detection of receiving area
+ added mode a single reception can be decoded into the correct location without an even/odd pair
+ modified decoding algorithm for Mode A/C
+ modified algorithm of determining magnitudes of I/Q signals
+ added option "--verbose" - extended mode console output for decoded information from messages
+ changed format options "--avr-mlat" to "--avrmlat"
+ added option "--input-file <arg>" - read mode of I/Q signals that were recorded to binary file by rtl_sdr program from package sdr.osmocom.org

- In MD2 is usually better not to use the --agc for RTL. The program has internal gain control algorithm - separately for receiving chip and RTL. It constantly monitors the level of the signal and noise and calculates the instantaneous value threshold. Adding to this process no way associated --agc from dongle usually only prevents.  Although there are exceptions for specific antenna setup.

- For the same reason, the value of --gain for receiving chip R820T is desirable to establish fixed and maximum (48 or 49.6 dB). The program is able to make the necessary gain adaptation themselves.

Unfortunately, in my area there is no Mode-S Secondary Surveillance Radar and I can't test the program with Mode S radar pulses

Thanks,
sergsero

miodzicho

Hello all.
First of all thanks for nice software, looks impressive.
My question is, i just installed it on Rpi, works fine. I have PlanePlotter in trial version on Windows 7.
Unfortunately I don't see anything under Type or Route .
Should it be configured somehow ?

sergsero

Hi miodzicho,

I think that your question does not apply to ModeSDeco and ModeSMixer  :). However, PlanePlotter require additional data files so that it displays Type and Route. These data are not transmitted in Mode-S messages.

Code type of aircraft  will taking from the database file basestation.sqb. It should be placed in some directory and set path to it in PlanePlotter: <Options/SQB database options/SQB database directory>. The file is available http://pp-sqb.mantma.co.uk/.

Flight paths you can take from a file PlanePlotter\Log files\flightroute.sqb. The file is extracted from the archive should be renamed to flightroute.sqb. The file (last now) flightroute-2014-04-27-0900.icao.zip is available in Yahoo group: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/PP-logs-and-routes/files. Probably will first need to register there.

Thanks,
sergsero

miodzicho

Pardon ignorance I though those date are taken from ModeSDeco which I'm using to feed PlaneSpotter...
Thank you for pointing me in proper direction  :)

Breitling

Thanks sergsero, I'm already using MD2 decoding both mode-S and mode-AC signals.

Max gain value is good for the standard dongle antenna, but I'm using a homebrew 8 element coax collinear antenna that works better with lower values.

No way, I can't log any pulse interval. I'm receiving both modes, see below what I get.

[Attachment deleted by Admin to save file space]

sergsero

The second channel for RadarCape receiver on dongle RTL2832 by SDR technology.

The feed from RadarCape is outputted in Beast binary format from 10006 port. Also in the receiver works Angstrom's version of ModesDeco2 with RTL dongle, which connected to USB port. There is output Mode-S data feed in AVR format on port 33033. Next program - ModesMixer2, which also works inside RadarCape, makes merge both data streams, transcoding and output it to BaseStation.exe on port 10001 in SBS format.

seriewoordenaar

I'm using RTL1090/PlanePlotter on a 12 year old PC running Windows XP Pro SP3 with all updates, and on this old hardware the setup runs fine with my NooElec TV28T dongle - even with CPU cycles to spare.
After reading the positive comments on ModeSDeco, I wanted to give this a try.
I put all the files on the Google Drive into one folder, installed the VSU_4\vcredist_x86.exe, and gave it a go from the command prompt (without arguments).
It simply crashes on startup : modesdeco2_xp.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.
Any ideas ?
???

sergsero

Please, name the type of processor in your computer.
If you run the program with only one option --help at the command line - is also the program crashes on startup?

Anmer

Quote from: sergsero on May 04, 2014, 04:32:11 PM

On a 12-year old PC running XP, my guess is 32 bit.
Here to Help.

seriewoordenaar

Quote from: sergsero on May 04, 2014, 04:32:11 PM
If you run the program with only one option --help at the command line - is also the program crashes on startup?

It's a 32-bit AMD Athlon 1.3GHz single-core.
Your software crashes immediately with whatever argument I give it.
The dongle is connected and working fine with the RTL1090/PlanePLotter setup, and I don't use RTL1090 & your software simultaneously.  :-X

Breitling

Hi sergsero, finally I managed to log radar pulse intervals both on Mode S and Mode A/C. But I had to use the --avrmlat parameter on ModeSdeco2 and configure PP to use an AVR receiver.

TTECH

Hello sergsero,

I can't connect ModeSDeco to PlanePlotter.
I only see shared aircraft, but not my own received.

I use this command:

Desktop\modesdeco2_windows_20140428\modesdeco2.exe --agc --gain 49.6 --avrmlat 31002 --rbs --location 50.82382:4.766023

What am I doing wrong?
I want to see Mode S and Mode AC at the same time.

Regards,
Tibo

sergsero

Hello Tibo,

For output data stream the program provides a standard format for AVR and BEAST messages.
Therefore, to connect to PlanePlotter need to use the corresponding modes. In PP input configuration use any binary mode: Beast receiver TCP or RTL>RPi+Dump1090 and in modesdeco2 the format of output data stream should be changed to --beast 31002.

In modesdeco2 is usually better not to use the --agc for RTL chip. The program has internal gain control algorithm - separately for receiving chip and RTL. It dynamically monitors level of the signal and noise and calculates the instantaneous value threshold. Adding to this process no way associated --agc from dongle usually only prevents.  Although there are exceptions for specific antenna setup  and it should be found experimentally.

Regards,
sergsero

TTECH

Thank you, now it works!

I have two questions:
- How can I lookup the aircraft type of the Mode AC code like 'XX5440'? (see attachment)
- Is ModeSDeco able to provide useable raw data as Dump1090 does?

Regards,
Tibo

sergsero

- Only if you have access to data of your atraffic service. The "A" value of squawk is assigned by ATC each time for any aircraft that takes off from your airport or flying through controlled airspace. On other hand, the value of squawk can be the barometric altitude flight if it's "C". The squawk is in no way directly associated with the type of the aircraft.

- I want to hope that this is so and in this issue I hope for your help (if you have the time) for md2 testing. Unfortunately in my area there are no land secondary radars with Mode-S select requests.

Regards,
sergsero