Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 11:15:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

ModeSDeco2 and ModeSMixer2 - console programs for RTLSDR and transcoding

Started by sergsero, August 09, 2013, 03:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radio2.0

1) Is there an way to send the data out like VRS (Push Receiver) ?
2) I have all Aircraft Route from the official Information can you make it possible to integrate like the Cometrail?
>>> I looking for People who want exchange the VRS Data with me. <<<
I life near LOWW / VIE and see Ground Traffic too.

APO1972

Hello to all again,
Is it possible for an RTL Dongle through modesdeco2 or modesmixer2 to feed with data the earlier versions of Basestation e.g. v161?
Thanks

mlino

Quote from: sergsero on April 28, 2015, 01:49:49 AM
Hi zachmart,

Thanks for the kind words.

1) In the current version in WEB window display information is taken from the console and is identical with it. If you suppress output to the console, then it will not be in the WEB window too.
2) In next versions I plan to add a circular scale. This will require to set in options coordinates of all remote sources.

sergsero

Hi Sergsero,

What do you mean to "suppress output to the console..."? As the other guy I would like to hide log from web page, but hiding the console output doesn't remove log.

I have used modesdeco2 --options >nul, but the log still on the web page. This will be a great feature in future release.

I have another question regarding on how to determine the frequency correction ppm value. Is there any way to to that?

Regards,

Marcio

sergsero

Hi Marcio,

This is true for modesmixer2. To do this, it has the option --log-level [0 - 5].

Initially modesdeco2 was not intended for public use when you need to restrict access to displayed information.
If you need it, at the moment you can use a combination of two programs.

The error is ~ +-20-120 PPM (low  precision 28.8MHz quartz crystal), relatively stable once warmed up, and stable from day to day for a given dongle. There are two pieces of good news the offset is linear and once the crystal has warmed up it generally does not drift very much. Because the error is linear across the whole frequency range, only one correction value is required.

Perform a one-time calibration of dongle oscillator is usually not difficult. This can be done in the program SDR#.

With sufficient accuracy (for ADS-B) it can be done, if you tune into an AM radio station with a known frequency, for example, ATIS nearest airport.

In SDR# switch the receiving mode to DSB and Sample Rate in 2.048 MSPS.

Change the value in PPM correction and find the lowest tone of the beating between the carrier frequency of the AM radio station and local from SDR# (beats between cofrequencies).
This value will correspond to the required correction in PPM.

Thanks,
sergsero

mlino

Quote from: sergsero on May 05, 2015, 02:22:30 AM
Hi Marcio,

This is true for modesmixer2. To do this, it has the option --log-level [0 - 5].

Initially modesdeco2 was not intended for public use when you need to restrict access to displayed information.
If you need it, at the moment you can use a combination of two programs.

The error is ~ +-20-120 PPM (low  precision 28.8MHz quartz crystal), relatively stable once warmed up, and stable from day to day for a given dongle. There are two pieces of good news the offset is linear and once the crystal has warmed up it generally does not drift very much. Because the error is linear across the whole frequency range, only one correction value is required.

Perform a one-time calibration of dongle oscillator is usually not difficult. This can be done in the program SDR#.

With sufficient accuracy (for ADS-B) it can be done, if you tune into an AM radio station with a known frequency, for example, ATIS nearest airport.

In SDR# switch the receiving mode to DSB and Sample Rate in 2.048 MSPS.

Change the value in PPM correction and find the lowest tone of the beating between the carrier frequency of the AM radio station and local from SDR# (beats between cofrequencies).
This value will correspond to the required correction in PPM.

Thanks,
sergsero

Hi Sergsero,

The log-level option work flawlessly in modesmixer2. Thanks! Regard the freq-correction I used the Kalibration to find out the value since SDR# was not an option, because I was running modesdeco2 on RPI.

Regards,

Marcio

CommsAlpha

First off, love the program and the web output.  I have it running on two machines using ModeSMixer2.

Sorry if this has been asked before. I dont see the coverage map when running the ModeSMixer web server. Is this normal or have I missed something? 

I have ModeSDeco2 running locally with a rtl-sdr along with ModeSMixer2 taking in data from another remote computer running ModeSDeco2 and an rtl. The local ModeSMixer2 web is enabled and thats the views im watching.

Im really interested in the coverage I can get using different antenna configurations and would love to be able to see the coverage of both receivers.

Many thanks,

maaw

Quote from: Keef on April 29, 2015, 09:14:35 AM
On page 14 of this thread...

"Unfortunately, under the terms of my employer, program code is not available.".

I'm not speaking for sergsero but I think he might have already answered your second question!
Yeah, that's what I thought. Thank you.
Still no modesdeco2 for openwrt :(, nor any answer from sergsero though.
Anyway thank you for your reply and sergsero for this excellent piece of software. Hopefully sometime the newer version will be available for openwrt.

manamana

Hi everybody, one question:
I'm running modes2deco on raspberry. On the same machine I'm running RPI-Monitor to verify the hw performances.
I noted every morning a periodic peak ( 04:30 a.m. ) of cpu load and network activity, this is not related to peak on number of airplanes
is it only a my phenomenon ? Does anybody know about it ?

kryder

Hi Sergsero,

It is possible to ModeSDeco2 to show mode A/C squawks in AdsbScope ?

mlino

Hi Sergsero,

I noticed that even using the latest basestation.sqb file the planes are not identified by their registration.

Is there any specific format for that file or we can use the Kinetic SBS file?

Regards,

Marcio

sergsero

Hi Marcio,

The database, which is contained in file basestation.sqb, is not something mysterious. Use any software, that is able to view (and, if necessary, to edit) fields in sqlite3 database, for example, SQLiteStudio http://sqlitestudio.pl/ database manager. With it, you can check does your database information about the aircraft.  Including, to find out whether there's the registration number.

Since the registration numbers of aircraft are not transmitted in Mode S/ADS-B messages, the information about them must be entered manually.
But the recording of this aircraft is created by modesmixer2/modesdeco2 with the first received message that contains its icao24 address. Similarly, as other information that arrives from the ether.

All other data about it, that is not received directly from the aircraft, must be added to database manually from external sources. Including its registration number.

It is because of availability of existing databases in the Kinetic format modesmixer2/modesdeco2 uses the same it. Whereas Sqlite3 is not the best choice among modern databases when you want to store large amount of information.

Best regards,
sergsero

Radio2.0

Which information send the Aircraft?
IACO24, Registration,...?
>>> I looking for People who want exchange the VRS Data with me. <<<
I life near LOWW / VIE and see Ground Traffic too.

Anmer

Here to Help.