Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 08:22:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

ModeSDeco2 and ModeSMixer2 - console programs for RTLSDR and transcoding

Started by sergsero, August 09, 2013, 03:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G0HEU

thanks for the reply

for the moment I just want to test with the output going to the webpage to test, what would be the correct port ??

Paul

Triple7

Hi Paul,

You can choose any port you like so long as it's not in use by something else, port 8080 is fine. You have --web 8080 so all you need to do  is type 127.0.0.1:8080 in your web browsers address bar and all being well the data will show, click on the the word 'map' at the top of the ModeSDeco2 (Edit: or ModeSMixer2) screen and you should see the plots.

Tim
SBS-1eR, FA ProStick + 1090 filter

fat-tony

G0HEU - just to clarify something for me. Are you trying to use modesmixer2 to merge several sources of ADSB data? modesdeco2 on its own will process the info from an RTL-type dongle and output it on a TCP port in various formats including SBS-3, AVR or Beast which can be used to feed a radar display program like Planeplotter or Basestation etc. Additionally it provides a web output which is very capable in its own right. All you need is to point a browser at it on whatever port you have set. You may not need to use modesmixer2 at all unless you are merging data sources.

I use modesmixer2 on its own to handle serial input from a Beast receiver. I don't use modesdeco2 usually unless I'm testing dongle reception.

IanH

As fat-tony says, you don't need to both programs if your needs are simple.

There are couple of tutorials here that might help you to understand what each one does.
http://sonicgoose.com/category/tutorials/

G0HEU

Hi Fat tony

I am just having a play with the mixer see how it compares to the deco2, at the moment I only have the dongle plugged into the machine I am trying to test it on, the issue I had was the error message "no connection could be made because the target machine activity refused it"

I have the deco2 running very well on another machine

thanks

Paul

fat-tony

Hi Paul,

I'm not sure what you are comparing, though. The deco is used primarily to take the output from an RTL-dongle and present a variety of possible output formats on a TCP port which could be used on either the same or a remote PC.

modesmixer2 on its own can't accept input from an RTL-type dongle. It's more of a sophisticated router of TCP/UDP inputs (or true decoded data from a serial port like the Beast or the micro-ADSB stick) which can accept a variety of input formats and also output a variety of formats.

If you can't connect to the TCP output port of modesdeco, though, it would seem to me that you have a firewall blocking problem or a port number mismatch. The Windows firewall may be your issue, or if you have some other software firewall it may need to be configured to allow connections. You should be able  to connect to modesdeco TCP output (including its web server) from another machine on your own local network providing you have the IP address and port number specified correctly and firewall is not blocking. My Raspberry Pi runs modesmixer2 and uploads through my home network through the router to the Planeplotter server. Same instance of modesmixer2 also provides a web feed on port 8888 to my separate desktop machine and a raw feed on port 10001 to my Planeplotter display. modesdeco2 is capable of doing the same.

Joe

jmaurin

Is possible to use SBSplotter with ModesDeco2? I've tried using --sbs10001 30003, but doesn't work. Simple don't get any message from modesdeco2.

Triple7

I didn't try SBSPlotter but I did get ModeSDeco2 to show plots in BaseStation using ModeSMixer2 to transcode.

http://radarspotting.com/forum/index.php/topic,2978.msg24218.html#msg24218

That may enable you to use SBSPlotter. But do bear in mind that both ModeSDeco2 and ModeSMixer2 have inbuilt maps that display your reception range.

Tim
SBS-1eR, FA ProStick + 1090 filter

jmaurin

Quote from: Triple7 on July 26, 2015, 09:36:43 PM
I didn't try SBSPlotter but I did get ModeSDeco2 to show plots in BaseStation using ModeSMixer2 to transcode.

http://radarspotting.com/forum/index.php/topic,2978.msg24218.html#msg24218

That may enable you to use SBSPlotter. But do bear in mind that both ModeSDeco2 and ModeSMixer2 have inbuilt maps that display your reception range.

Tim

Tks!
But ModesDecos2 doesn't save data after restart and also doesn't show the longest aircraft, just range rings. that's why I'm looking to make SBSplotter to work.

IanH

--sbs10001 30003 doesn't work since the parameter "--sbs10001" sends data in "10001" format to the port you specify, in this case 30003.

But it does NOT convert the data to "30003" format.

Hence SBSplotter does not understand - it is receiving "10001" data not "30003" data.

Hope that makes sense.

I don't have a PC set up with a dongle right now to test, but I think that you need to run ModeSDeco with the option "--sbs10001 10001"

But also run ModeSMixer with  the options "--inConnect 127.0.0.1:10001 --outServer msg:30003"

ModeSDeco is sending 10001 data to ModeSmixer which coverts it to 30003 data. SBSPlotter should pick this up.

I'm assuming for the above that you are running everything on the same PC.

Of it doesn't work. let us know  ;D

sergsero

Hello jmaurin,

Modesdeco2 has built-in ability for output data to network (as listen TCP server) in the following formats:

--beast <arg> Enable Beast output listen port (default: off)
--avr <arg> Enable AVR output listen port (default: off)
--avrmlat <arg> Enable AVR MLAT output listen port (default: off)
--avrmlatas <arg> Enable AVR MLAT AirSpy output listen port (default: off)
--sbs10001 <arg> Enable SBS-3 output listen port (default: off)
--msg <arg> Enable MSG output listen port (default: off)

The format of options is a bit different from Modesmixer2, but I hope that it is also apparent of names.

For example, to enable data output in Kinetic MSG, just specify type msg and the port number.
That is --msg 30003 (together with other program options):

C:\modesdeco2.exe --gain 49.6 --freq-correction 62 --location 32.471:104.998 --web 8088 --db D:\temp\dbase\basestation.sqb --frdb D:\temp\dbase\flightroute.sqb --silhouettes D:\temp\images\silhouettes --pictures D:\temp\images\pictures --beast 10003 --msg 30003

The port number can be changed.

Regards,
sergsero

IanH

Sergsero

That's useful to know. I had not realised what the "--msg" output was from ModeSDeco  :-[

So no need to involve ModeSMixer here ;)

Ian

sergsero

Hi Ian,

Since the main function of ModeSDeco2 is SDR receiving, it's output is limited only via one type of TCP server. There is no need to specify it. In options only need to specify format and port.

In Kinetic format first field of each message always contains MSG. Hence the name "msg". :)

However, it should be noted that the format from Kinetic is obsolete and unable to transfer full range of modern data which we are now able to decode from a DF transponder messages.
I think for data transfer it is better to use any of the RAW formats (BEAST or AVR), if only not to work with legacy programs or if for the task just enough to use a limited set of data.

Regards,
sergsero

robybenjy

Hi Sergey and all,
I tested your ModeSDeco2 software in these days: it work very well and I can say you did a very good job (the same as AcarsDeco2 and AisDeco).
To receive and display the air traffic I use usually ADSB# with Virtual Radar Server and I noted a greater signal s decoding with improved coverage on ModeSDeco2.

But I have some questions:

• the number of positions is very low compared to the number of messages received; is it normal?
  • I can't see the Company name and the Aircraft type in the left side info map; which database file provides for this?
  • the METAR info is not updated, even if I rewrite the ICAO code in the Map setting
  • I saw many screenshot of ModeSDeco2, but I never saw the flight route of the planes; where should be it displayed?
I use v.20150628 with this setting:
cmd /c \Radio\ModeSdeco2\modesdeco2.exe --gain 48.0 --freq-correction 61 --location 42.xx:11.xx --web 8088 --db C:\Radio\VirtualRadar\BaseStation\basestation.sqb --silhouettes C:\Radio\VirtualRadar\BaseStation\Silhouettes --pictures C:\Radio\VirtualRadar\BaseStation\Pictures --filter-nocountry --metric

Roby

[Attachment deleted by Admin to save file space]
RTL-SDR dongle RTL2832U/R820T tuner
Selfmade 1090 MHz Spider GP antenna

Pidea

Sergsero, I'm trying to get modesmixer2 to connect to an SBS-1 that connected to my laptop running Windows by USB so that I can access it without needing BaseStation to be running.

How can I achieve this ?  I've tried:

modesmixer2.exe --inSerial ttyUSB0:3000000 --outServer beast:31007

but I'm not specifying the USB port correctly as the error says that it cannot find the file specified.

What would the format be for Windows ?

Thanks in advance

Phil