Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 10:43:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

ModeSDeco2 and ModeSMixer2 - console programs for RTLSDR and transcoding

Started by sergsero, August 09, 2013, 03:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radio2.0

>>> I looking for People who want exchange the VRS Data with me. <<<
I life near LOWW / VIE and see Ground Traffic too.

Radio2.0

In Win7 2x ModeSDeco2 run.
How abour an Pi2? Does there 2 ModeSDeco2 run parallel (1x Areal + 1 Yagi) ?

I see some people here know more about the Protokoll the Aircraft use.
Its possible to pipe out the TCAS Warning Messages?

IanH

Finally realised what this is all about.

Modesmixer2 (MM2) worked fine with plotting MLAT until Piaware 3 was released. The details on differences between Piaware 2 / 3 are on the Flightaware forums but don't mean much to me,

Tim is still using Piaware 2 so he sees the MLAT traffic in MM2.

Sergsero is aware that changes have happened - just that he is not well and hence has not had time to fix this.

MM2 seems to understand the MLAT data from Piaware 3 since it can combine it with ADSB and serve the combined data - that is how I use MM2. It just doesn't seem to display MLAT data any more.

arctic

Quote from: IanH on December 16, 2016, 03:46:26 PMModesmixer2 (MM2) worked fine with plotting MLAT until Piaware 3 was released

Thanks, this explains everything.
Hoping Sergsero will get well soon.
Regards.

Radio2.0

Triple7

Quote from: IanH on December 16, 2016, 03:46:26 PM
Tim is still using Piaware 2 so he sees the MLAT traffic in MM2.

Hi Ian,

I'm not actually, I mentioned to you via PM that it updated itself and that did cause issues until I reconfigured MM2 with the correct port No.

piaware -v

Yields this: 3.1.0

Tim
SBS-1eR, FA ProStick + 1090 filter

arctic

I found the tech info of why ModeSMixer2 won't show those MLAT planes from the FA Staff:

Quotemlat-client now returns results as DF 18 TIS-B positions.
modesmixer apparently doesn't understand those.
As modesmixer is closed source, I can't offer a fix for that, you will need to contact the modesmixer author.

So ModeSMixer2 isn't compatible with the DF18 messages, that's all. It can combine the traffic fine, but it won't visualize the airplane on the map.

As said, only sergsero can fix it... when he'll be back.

arctic

Quote from: Radio2.0 on December 16, 2016, 04:24:53 PM
does Mlat work offline with the SDR Dongle?

In theory it could work, but practical it won't: the MLAT is a triangulation, you need at least 3 receivers receiving the same airplane data, and by combining the feed it can triangulate the position. Those 3 receiver must be apart (some KM's as minimum), and since you won't run a KM's long (!) cable, you cannot have the MLAT working offline, you still need a way to have all those 3 receivers to communicate, and the easiest way to have it running is to connect them to internet.

ktso44615

Quote from: arctic on December 16, 2016, 04:30:16 PM
I found the tech info of why ModeSMixer2 won't show those MLAT planes from the FA Staff:

Quotemlat-client now returns results as DF 18 TIS-B positions.
modesmixer apparently doesn't understand those.
As modesmixer is closed source, I can't offer a fix for that, you will need to contact the modesmixer author.

So ModeSMixer2 isn't compatible with the DF18 messages, that's all. It can combine the traffic fine, but it won't visualize the airplane on the map.

As said, only sergsero can fix it... when he'll be back.

FYI, It looks like the same is probably true for ADSBExchange MLAT as well.   When I view the ADSBExchange MLAT results and the FA MLAT results in VRS (in my VRS web Options --> List --> List Settings I have TIS-B enabled as a list setting to show), both the ADSBEX MLAT and the FA MLAT show "yes" under the TIS-B column.

Well, at least we don't have to play around with this anymore trying to get it to work.

Mike

Radio2.0

IanH

QuoteI'm not actually, I mentioned to you via PM that it updated itself and that did cause issues until I reconfigured MM2 with the correct port No.

Code: [Select]
piaware -v

Yields this: 3.1.0

Ah yes, forgot about that  :-[.

Anyway on the same version of Piaware (3.1.0), I don't see MLAT plotted.

On Piaware version 2.1.5, MLAT is plotting.

You must have a strange mix of components caused by an update you did not ask for.

arctic

Quote from: IanH on December 16, 2016, 07:07:00 PM
You must have a strange mix of components caused by an update you did not ask for.

There's no evidence that he's showing MLAT at all... in that pictures all of those planes appears to transmit their ADS-B position.
I think there's a lot of confusion around MLAT... MLAT return data is similar to the usual beast binary data but in a slight different format (DF18 TIS-B) because it is supposed to be sent by the ground stations (it's true for us, and it's true in the real scenarios: real CTR used to stream in the air the MLAT data as well).

arctic

Quote from: Radio2.0 on December 16, 2016, 05:50:01 PM
@   arctic
With "offline" I mean without leave my Country.

It would be better to explain what you're trying to achieve... and are you sure you understood what's MLAT about?

Radio2.0

Quotereal scenarios: real CTR used to stream in the air the MLAT data as well).
Ground Station send also on 1090?

Radio2.0

sorry for not edit my post becouse so many people write here....
Quoteand are you sure you understood what's MLAT about?
Sure a Server combine the Information from different Clients who receive the Radar Echo.

All MLAT Systems I know use an external Server who is located anywhere in the World. So in my Country 1090 Reception is technical legal but share the (raw) Data out.
Then I process the Data its gone gray not black.  ;D

So when I share any raw Data out i could get to jail.