Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 11:57:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Pipeline: FlightAware's FlightFeeder & Rpi User software upload to FA

Started by north borneo radar, January 19, 2014, 12:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

north borneo radar

FlightAware (FA) is working on a program so that users using Rpi + dump1090 can upload their data to FA's server.

Furthermore, there is also the FlightFeeder, FA's own ads-b receiver which is based on the raspberry pi. Should be shipping soon for users who has their free hardware application approved. There are plans to have it for sale in the future.

source:
http://discussions.flightaware.com/ads-b-flight-tracking-f21/rsspberry-pi-dump1090-direct-to-flightaware-t17779.html?sid=8e4587f9e3c43eb27a4f5e862109317e

http://discussions.flightaware.com/ads-b-flight-tracking-f21/flightaware-ads-b-receiver-equipment-be-for-sale-to-buy-it-t17418.html

http://flightaware.com/adsb/flightfeeder/

Anmer

There's a bit more to selling and supporting a Mode-S receiver than banking cheques, as Flightradar24 discovered.

But it will be interesting to see how the Flightaware receiver will sell for and how well it performs.  And I guess it will not ship with a GUI.
Here to Help.

IanH

QuoteAnd I guess it will not ship with a GUI.

I think I read that there is a possibility of a free copy of PlanePlotter, so that must be the GUI.

Caribnomad

Good day everyone!

I received a Flightfeeder from Flightaware. It is installed and working in Port of Spain, Trinidad.

The device is basically an RTL-2832 with a Raspberry Pi board, running dump1090.

On startup, it 'phones home' to the Flightaware server, and streams any reception information to their server. I don't think there is any need to quote the server IP and port number here, suffice to say, the information is correctly displayed on flights withing range of my node.

Meanwhile, from a PC on the same LAN segment, you can open a browser and connect to port 8080. This gives you a basic map, which auto-centres once the first aircraft is heard (and you can re-centre the map too).

The rumour is correct: If you have an ADS-B receiver and stream information to Flightaware, they will send you a code to license the trial version of the PlanePlotter program.

I have been trying, without success, to get a trial copy of PlanePlotter working with my local Flightfeeder. I really didn't think it would be this difficult.

Flightaware told me to configure PP for port 30003. But I get nothing. I started off by selecting the RPi/Dump1090 receiver option in PP, but over the last few weeks I have tried configuring ALL the different receiver options, and putting the appropriate IP address and port number where I think the information is supposed to go.

I am puzzled by the appearance of both a Mode-S config screen and a separate I/O screen where ADS-B is configured.

If anyone has got a Flightfeeder working with Planeplotter, I would really appreciate a little help stepping through the process. I have a copy of Wire Shark running, but as the cable modem has a 4-port switch, not hub, I can't see much except the traffic coming to my local PC.

Any help (on list or off list) would be much appreciated.

Anmer

Welcome.

In PlanePlotter, what have you set for the Mode-S receiver?  And what IP address and port?

And in I/O Settings what Mode-S/ADS-B have you chosen?
Here to Help.

Caribnomad

Hi Anmer,

Thanks for the reply.

Over the weeks I have tried every conceivable option, but reverting at regular intervals to the following:

The Flightfeeder is 192.168.0.4
My PC is 192.168.0.6.

In options\Mode-S Receiver, I have RTL dongle RPi Dump 1090, and entered RPi TCP/IP = 192.168.0.4:30003

In Options\I/O Settings, I have
Mode-S/ADS-B checked
RTL > RPi+Dump1090 highlighted
I don't have any of the PP 'Output' options selected.

And of course I am hitting the green button on the top bar to start...

Last week, someone suggested I try SBS-3 setup, and I did so without success.

IanH

Anmer

As IanH has mentioned, that looks OK.  But I don't have a Flightaware receiver here to test.

In I/O have you tried AVR Receiver TCP?

Here to Help.

IanH

Have a look here, http://www.satsignal.eu/raspberry-pi/dump1090.html , in particular the program view1090,exe which should show the output from dump1090.

And I see that dump1090 outputs on port 30005 . So try that although FA may have changed the port number.

I was involved with testing dump1090 on the Pi but can't remember the details now and don't have it set up at the moment. Perhaps I should  ;)

Edit: if it is sending output on port 30003, you could try using sbsplotter.exe from here http://jetvision.de/sbs1.shtml to see if shows any output from the receiver. At least that would confirm or otherwise if anything is coming out on port 30003!

Edit2: Bev modified PP especially for the dongle/dump1090 combination so I am sure that is the correct option. Unless FA altered anything   >:(

IanH

OK, I reinstalled dump1090 on my Raspberry Pi and using the equivalent settings in PlanePlotter but port 30005, I see output in PlanePlotter.

View1090.exe needs to be run in a command window and simply outputs text data so you can check it is working. Use the following command (substitute your IP address) otherwise it defaults to 127.0.0.1.

>view1090 --net-bo-ipaddr 192.168.0.xx

[Attachment deleted by Admin to save file space]

Caribnomad

Thanks for the hints! I am not ignoring them, ... just slammed with an immense amount of work to get done by the weekend.

My initial attempt at running view1090 returns an error@

"Connect returned 0x0000274C: Failed to allocate socket."

Possibly related to this, Flightaware advise that they may have inadvertently blocked the 30003 and 30005 ports on the latest batch of Flightfeeders sent out around 8 Jan. They will be pushing a new software image soon.

Forgive me if I do not respond quickly: I may have to focus on work for the next few days.

Anmer

Quote from: Caribnomad on February 04, 2014, 11:41:59 PM
Possibly related to this, Flightaware advise that they may have inadvertently blocked the 30003 and 30005 ports on the latest batch of Flightfeeders sent out around 8 Jan.

It's possible, I can imagine why they would have done that.
Here to Help.

IanH

Just tried running view1090 with the Raspberry Pi switched off. I get that same error:

"Connect returned 0x0000274C: Failed to allocate socket."