Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 07:24:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Yet another new Puck

Started by hispeedbypass, February 14, 2014, 11:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hispeedbypass

I recently visited Chris at Elstree with the aim to buy a 1090 Puck but wanted to see how it compared to what I already had been using SBS 1 and 1er
And I must say Chris is one diamond geezer!. He was exceptionally helpful, and took time to run through its merits as well as what various antennae offered regarding reception. No hard sell!. His passion and knowledge is very balanced and I didnt feel lost in any techno speak.
You get the feeling he really treats each customer personally important and valued and I came away not only with Puck in hand but excited and eager to get going.
I had a 5 hour drive back home from his place and as soon as I got in, set up system and WoW it did better than what it says on the tin.
So I strongly recommend anyone who is dithering or unsure whether to commit £250, that its definitely a MUST. Certainly coming from the doldrums of the SBS 1 to this is a vast improvement. And for anyone starting off on this venture- You are very fortunate. You will have a piece of kit that is at the top of its game. And if you give Chris a call he is very helpful and like the Puck he too comes Highly Recommended

Keef

I agree with Chris being helpful, but have no knowledge of the Puck so can't really comment on that.

I would say that as an SBS-1eR owner/user I don't feel I'm in the doldrums, it's a fine piece of kit!

Cheers,

Keef.

viking9

I agree Keef, the 1er is only slightly down on the range of the of my SBS-3 so if anyone is seeing a VAST improvement in the Puck over the 1er it must be down to a better or re-sited antenna or something else.
Tom

Anmer

Off the same antenna I am getting between 10-15% more contacts with the Puck/SBS-3 vs SBS-1eR with slightly further range.
Here to Help.

viking9

Tom

Anmer

Quote from: viking9 on February 15, 2014, 03:57:26 PM
Hardly in the doldrums then.

I'm only sharing my own experience.

If I had a choice of a new SBS, I'd get a Puck.  I don't use the radio and it delivers the most contacts and range and is half the price.
Here to Help.

hispeedbypass

If you noted my comments I was referring to the SBS 1 more than 1er.
As Mike expressed it the range is markedly improved over the 1 and if you invest in a better aerial, then it is a significant upgrade.
I still use my 1er routinely and its very satisfactory. But since the puck has become available, for those out there not sure whether to invest or not then my recommendation (and maybe Mike as well) is that its probably worth the plunge.
Furthermore if you plan to travel overseas or remain mobile its easy enough to stow or even carry on you. So that versatility in my book is a good result

gcopter1

Quote from: Anmer on February 15, 2014, 04:26:54 PM
Quote from: viking9 on February 15, 2014, 03:57:26 PM
Hardly in the doldrums then.

I'm only sharing my own experience.

If I had a choice of a new SBS, I'd get a Puck.  I don't use the radio and it delivers the most contacts and range and is half the price.

I have a question, when you say you'd prefer the Puck over the SBS, because you don't use the radio, what are you referring to?
I currently own a GNS5890 and am very new to this hobby. Would like to improve on equipment and am thinking about getting either an SBS or Puck. By price alone, obviously the SBS-3 seems to be most complete over the Puck. But I'm interested in someone telling me exactly what feature does what in the SBS that the Puck doesn't do. Yes, I can display in my browser both units and read the features, but, again, I'm new to this and don't have quite the grasp on all the terms used. I realize this post has been inactive for a while, hopefully someone can take pity on me and chime in with their answers. Thanks!

Anmer

Welcome.

The SBS-3 is a combined Mode-S and SDR receiver. 

The Puck is either.  The 1090 Puck is a Mode-S receiver and the SDR Puck is a software defined radio.

The SDR in either the SBS-3 or SDR Puck is used by entering a radio frequency.  It is not a "scanner".

For Mode-S, the SBS-3 and 1090 Puck should be identical in performance.  And both ship with the BaseStation software.

The GNS5890 (I have one) is also a Mode-S receiver but, in my opinion, is inferior to the SBS and Puck, decoding less messages.  It's now 10 years since I started using a Kinetic receiver and I've tried all the others.  Overall, I found the Kinetic products to be superior.

But, upgrading from the GNS may not be cost-effective, depending on how well it performs for you and your antenna installation.  A better antenna and improved location may give you enhanced performance with your existing receiver.

But, if you're keen to get a new receiver, the 1090 Puck offers good value if you're not interested in the SBS-3 SDR receiver or Ethernet connectivity.

Hope that helps.  If not, ask away.
Here to Help.

hispeedbypass

Hi  GCOPTER1
Similar to Mike's comments,
Ive now owned the 1090 Puck for almost a year and have traveled extensively with it along with my laptop and it has proved to be both resilient and excellent in tracking aircraft. I was recently in central Italy surrounded by mountains yet it still provided an effective range.
Of course if you are spotting aircraft then as with any unit, line of sight takes precedent but by working along with FR24 you can track to a greater distance (along with a suitable aerial)
Where I think the puck comes into its own is the ability to qualify what aircraft (especially business etc) actually are whereas FR24 may only indicate type in certain circumstances.
Equally important is the Basestation Reporter database, this enables you to create additional files by entering all the possible aircraft hex codes, tied up with registrations and types.
That way the above note on bizjets and others becomes easier to monitor.
This forum is about the best area you will find that both offers helpful suggestions,
interesting subjects and a wealth of support.
All the moderators are passionate about our interest and will do as much as they can to help us enjoy it in fuller measure.
Julian