Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 05:51:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

US spy drones flies in UK airspace for the first time

Started by Watson-Watt, May 29, 2014, 09:33:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Watson-Watt

satcom

Mode A/C only , monitored on UHF  on three of the flights by milscanners group members and popped up on PP Mode A/C  at 57000 feet on the last flight.
Flew  clockwise circuits around the UK .

Watson-Watt

Thanks for that, Satcom. Nice to know that it didn't go unnoticed!

satcom

Not much does....but it would have been nice to get a solid fix on it using Mode A/C
I suspect that , like the B2  , squawk transmissions are short burts rather than continual.

This week we expect a gaggle of B52s into Fairford.
It will be interesting to see if they use the same procedure , or , maintain their
Squawks for longer periods.
They won't be mode S , but A/C only , so beamfinder plus will be the only way to track them in if the weather doesn't co-operate.

edgy

I'm wondering, since most older transponders usually have Mode-1 and Mode-2 squawks, that some of the squawks were Mode 2. Mode 1 is/was only 32 codes (XX), so probably wouldn't be seen using current A/C detector algorithms.

I think junglejets dongle algorithm gives all mode-A/C, while most of the receivers truncate streams of the same code.

As the main beam sweeps past the target it should give quite a few replies, but my Beast for example, just outputs 1 reply.  Course you can't tell if it's a mode 2 or a mode 3/A, but you can surmise a mode C...

EDIT: Another idea for detector designers, is maybe decoding the Mode 4 3-pulse reply.  These are three pulses spaced a fixed number of microseconds apart.  I'm sure drones squawk Mode 4 :-)