Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 19, 2024, 09:35:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

SBS-1 A Personal Opinion

Started by Anmer, January 30, 2012, 01:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anmer

The following is my personal High-level" opinion of the SBS-1 Mode-S receiver and Basestation software.  Others may not share my opinion and I would encourage members to post their own views.  Hopefully it will be of help to others.

Of course, the SBS-1 has been superceded by the SBS-3.  However, it's been suggested that over 10,000 SBS-1 were sold and some may find their way onto the pre-used market via eBay or this and other forums.

The Receiver
I got my SBS-1 in September 2005.  I bought it from a prison officer whom I met during my time in jail.  No I jest.  ;)

He lived in Lincolnshire and didn't get to see many positional contacts (there weren't in those days).  He delivered it personally for £400 cash.  I've never looked back and you can read more in My Setup available in our Files section.

I still have and use the SBS-1 "Classic" to which I added an Ethernet module.  I also have an SBS-1eR which delivers more aircraft and is my "base" model.

Compared to the other 4 receivers, the combination of the SBS-1 and Basestation software is my preferred option.  The receiver is well made and I've never had a problem with either of them.  With the exception of The Beast, the SBS-1 delivers more positional aircraft contacts in comparative tests.  The Beast is on par.

The SBS-1 can also provide approved data to drive PlanePlotters' multilateration option (Mlat).  Via the Basestation software it can also support PlanePlotters' Beamfinder Mode-S plotting but not Beamfinder Plus which uses Mode-A/C radar pulses.

Unlike the majority of receivers that connect via USB, the SBS-1 can also connect via Ethernet which I use as standard.  There's a Guide on Networking the SBS-1 in our Files section.

Basestation
The initial setup is quite straightforward but "out of the box" the Basestation software is fairly bland.  A single colour map and crude coast line and country borders. 

There's an empty SQL aircraft database which records the aircraft hex code.  Kinetic doesn't operate a central database that updates the local one with aircraft type, registrations, owner etc or flight routes.  The AirNav Systems' RadarBox does but there are reported issues regarding accuracy and updates.

Some of Kinetic's competitors often point out that Basestation needs to use third-party addons to get registrations, photographs, silhouettes and flight routes and they have a point.  But in my view, this adds to the fun and allows a high degree of personalisation.  It also avoids some of the quality issues of a central database.

My "essential" third-party addons are SBSPopulate and Flight Display.  SBSPopulate (as can Active Display) provides hex code lookups and local database updates whereas Flight Display delivers airline routing, photographs, metar and lots of other useful utilities.

Another unique option is sharing data with other Basestation users via the SBS1 Client and MMS2 server.  This a free addon and more information can be found in our Files section.

In addition, Basestation offers considerable customisation.  The map can be enhanced with high detail coastlines, airport runways, ATZ, MATZ, airways and lots more.  Waypoints can be customised along with airline logos and aircraft silhouettes.  Please visit Bones' Tutorials and Utilities websites for more information.

For those who like to plot aircraft that don't provide Mode-S positional data, PanePlotter and Mlat will be another essential addon.  PlanePlotter also offers data sharing at a very affordable price.

Summary
Over 6 years later, I'm still impressed with the quality and reliability of the SBS-1 receiver and the extensive flexibilty and customisation offered by Basestation.

You don't need a degree in Computer Science but it will help if you know your way around a PC and have some experience editing text files.  If you don't want to "mess around" then alternative products may offer a better option but they too will have strengths and weaknesses.  Each to one's own as they say.

I have no hesitation in recommending the SBS-1 but I always recommend potential purchasers to look around before making an investment in a Mode-S receiver and software.  If you can, try out the software either with a friend or at a dealer and visit supplier and independent forums such as Radarspotting.

There is a comparative Check List in our files section but don't rely on this as things develop and move on.  And what suits one doesn't always suit others.

As mentioned earlier, the SBS-1 has now been superceded by the SBS-3 which includes two software defined radios.  It ships with a later version of Basestaion (164)  which appears to be the same as the previous release (161).  However, the pre-release announcements mentioned AIS output (for ship plotting) and running other software direct from the receiver rather than via Basestation.

But it's still early days and if I get an SBS-3 I'll provide a full write up in due course.

As mentioned at the beginning, these are my personal views and I don't expect everyone to agree.  I will fully respect alternative views but preferably from those who've used an SBS-1 and Basestation.  I'll be adding new topics on other products where customers can post their personal reviews.
Here to Help.