Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 06:06:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Who help me find the right standalone system....

Started by K9 Spike, July 25, 2014, 08:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K9 Spike

Can anyone of you help me to consider the purchase of a mode S receiver ?
I'm not a Windows guy, so I read that there are standalone systems with embedded Linux and that it can reach across platforms.
So would this work on an OSX (apple) ?

Which manufacturers make such a standalone system ?
I have found one manufacturer "ModesBeast.com" (RadarCape) but those are expensive.  :o
Are they easy to start - (installation, plug and play)

I'm sorry if I ask some stupid questions here,  but I'm totally not a computer expert.
Oh yeah, and sorry for bad English...  :-[

Anmer

Welcome to the forum.

How "stand alone" do you want and how do you plan to view the received (and decoded) data?

The Radarcape is a standalone receiver that connects to a router.  But to make use of the data it receives and decodes you need at least a browser to view it's output.

DVB-T USB receivers can be connected to "barebone" computers such as the Raspberry Pi or Beaglebone but these have to run Linux utilities to process and decode the Mode-S data in a simliar way to the Radarcape. 

In my experience of configuring "barebone" setups (and reading other forums), they can be quite a challenge especially for the non-computer "expert".

It also depends what else you want to achieve, such as having an editable database of received aircraft messages.
Here to Help.

K9 Spike

QuoteThe Radarcape is a standalone receiver that connects to a router.  But to make use of the data it receives and decodes you need at least a browser to view it's output.

Firefox or Safari.  ;)

QuoteIt also depends what else you want to achieve, such as having an editable database of received aircraft messages.
Yes, I want to create a database, but do not know whether ( civil Aviation) military aircraft can be stored with RadarCape or other system.

Anmer

The Radarcape doesn't have any graphical user interface or database.

You would have to find OS X options to work with the receiver.
Here to Help.

K9 Spike

Quote from: Anmer on July 26, 2014, 04:25:21 PM
The Radarcape doesn't have any graphical user interface or database.

You would have to find OS X options to work with the receiver.
do you have any idea if it exists...  ;)

Chris-G0WTZ

If you use an SBS-3 or SBS-1eR straight into your router you can set up port forwarding and talk to the port 10001 data with basestation or Virtual radar server on any machine.
I also think Matt who does the SBS viewer app was talking about an App to connect direct to port 10001  with an Iphone or Ipad. May be worth an email to him!

http://www.dstarcomms.com/sbsviewer/

K9 Spike

I took my daughter her win7 laptop.  ;D
She uses that no more (bought a Macbook pro), laptop is already some Year old but apparently works.
I have bought a dongle ADS-B Dongle (R820T) yesterday and Installed VRS with RTL1090 ​​and it works.
I also set up VRS web server and now I can use my iMac opening VRS safari.   :)

This is a begin to a new hobby....  8)