Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 08:43:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Transferring Base Station files.

Started by Watson-Watt, February 08, 2015, 11:15:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Watson-Watt

I run BS on a rather elderly laptop and have to consider that it might fail suddenly.

Would anyone kindly advise as to how I should go about transferring files to a USB drive so I can get things moved across to a new machine should the need arise?

Many thanks, Gentlemen.

W-W

IanH

I've installed BaseStation on so many PCs recently for testing that all I do is install a fresh copy of BaseStation on the target PC and then copy basestation.sqb and basestation.ini from the old version to the new version.

That mean my database and setup is copied.

Let's see what others add to this idea!

Anmer

Copy the BaseStation folder and sub-folders (and all files) to your USB stick.  That will include your Waypoints, Outlines, OperatorFlags etc.

If you're running Vista or later and had accepted the default Install location, also copy the "active" BaseStation.sqb file that should be in the Virtual Store.

You can then copy the folder to your new PC and run the BaseStation.exe and all should be the same as before, assuming you've also installed the USB drivers on the new PC. If not, double click on the CDM20814_Setup.exe which you should have in your saved BaseStation folder

If your old setup used the Virtual Store. copy the active sqb file to the new folder too, replacing the "ghost" one..

The important thing is to copy your whole Basestation folder and sub-folders to your USB stick, updating it from time-to-time.  With that safeguarded, you'll always be able to do a fresh install and then copy your saved files, preserving your existing setup.
Here to Help.

Watson-Watt

Thank you both Ian and Mike, I'm very grateful to you for your help.

FWIW, the laptop mentioned above is a Dell Inspiron 9400.
I've recently had trouble getting the mains unit  to stay on, ie the green light on the block goes off within seconds of switching on at the mains. Switching on and off several times normally results in it 'playing the game'.
I've ordered a new PSU but I have a sneaking feeling that the problem maybe internal to the laptop hence my concern about a sudden demise.

Thanks, chaps.

IanH

Ah yes - Waypoints, Outlines, OperatorFlags

On a test setup I don't bother with those so good point. Although I have them backed up elsewhere.

I always wondered what the CDM20814 file did.