Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:55:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Using multiple dongles

Started by andyj, March 08, 2015, 04:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyj

Hello folks, here's a question for you.

I'm running 3 dongles, one for dump1090, one for acarsdeco2 and one via MultiPSK for VDL2. each using it's own antenna.

I've used RTL1090 to change the serial numbers of the dongles to 1,5 and 7 ( or as MultiPSK sees them 00000001/5/ and 7.

What I'm trying to do is tie each dongle to each program so I don't have to keep unplugging/plugging them in but I don't know if this is possible.

In the list of commands for acarsdeco2,  modesdeco2 and dump1090 is
--device-index <arg>      Select RTL device ( default 0 )
--device-index 5 ( I've modified the command to look like this )

I've tried adding this command with all three programs but they all crash as soon as I try to start them. I'm not sure if I'm entering the correct syntax.
I've tried --device-index 5 to --device-index 00000005 but nothing seems to work.

Anyone know where I'm going wrong or even if it's possible to achieve this ?

Thanks
Andy

IanH

I thought I had seen this question on the PP Yahoo Group and just checked to see if that answer was relevant.

Same Andy asking it so repeating it here won't help.  ;)

The only people who will know the definitive answer are the programmers.

Sergsero who produced acarsdeco2 visits here frequently so you may get an answer from him.

Although the original author of dump1090 was "antirez", the version most people are probably using was a fork by Malcolm Robb - don't know if he is still active on the PP Yahoo Group.

Ian

Anmer

Quote from: IanH on March 08, 2015, 07:13:29 PM
Same Andy asking it so repeating it here won't help.  ;)

It might.  Not everyone here visits the PP Yahoo Group and vice versa.
Here to Help.

andyj

Yes, same bloke with the same question !!
I feel sure there's an answer, I just wish I could find it.
When you see a command that says "Select RTL device (default 0)" it suggests it's
just the thing I'm looking for but I'm blowed if I can make it work.
I've tried all sorts of permutations but all I seem to achieve is make the program crash.

Andy

sergsero

Hello andyj,

You did everything absolutely right when you say:
QuoteI've used RTL1090 to change the serial numbers of the dongles to 1,5 and 7

Please note, that we speak about serial number of device.

There are two ways of device identification, which available for use by: index number and serial number.
By default, any program always uses an index of the device.
The device's index in system is assigned by the system and, in general, each time you restart, it can be arbitrarily changed for analogous devices.

Opposite, the serial number is a constant unique ID, which can be changed only by hardware re-programming the device.

If you tell the program that it can work only with dongle, which has a specific serial number - it will do that, not noticing that there are other devices in system.
Therefore, use in command line of acarsdeco2 or modesdeco2 the option: --device-serial <arg>  (Select SDR device by serial no).

Thanks,
sergsero

andyj

Thank you for the answer sergsero, works perfectly !!!!
No more unplugging/plugging in dongles. I'm now very happy.

I tried this command with dump1090 but it just crashes.
Not a problem, as acarsdeco2 in now tied to dongle 5 and VDL2/MultiPSK is tied to dongle 7
dump1090 just picks up the last remaining dongle.
I think today I will try to get modesdeco2 set up.

Thanks again
Andy

ccc79

With dump1090 it uses the primary dongle as the first choice.  For example your maine antenna is using dump1090 then its going to be device index 0 on the command line.   I have 3 dongles and changed serial numbers 1 through 3.   Serial number 0000001 is my main, so on dump1090 feeding PlanePlotter --device-index 0.   Then I run SDR Sharpe for ACARs and it works with not conflicts as the dump1090 is looking at device 0.   Hope that helps you out some.    If anyone has an idea of how to use or if its possible to run dump1090 on main antenna, and modesdeco2 on a secondary for planeplotter please let me know.   Using Windows 8 and got tired of trying to get me RiPi to work.