Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 05, 2024, 08:48:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

ModesDeco2 or ModesMixer2 with PiAware - anybody tried this successfully

Started by EDDG, May 05, 2015, 10:12:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spotter.ssol

AFAIK, callsign is broadcasted only by 1090ES (ADS-B) capable aircraft. But these ones usually don't require MLAT.
--

Anmer

Quote from: spotter.ssol on March 05, 2016, 11:17:45 PM
AFAIK, callsign is broadcasted only by 1090ES (ADS-B) capable aircraft. But these ones usually don't require MLAT.

I admit I'm no expert on 1090 MHz message specs but I have callsigns for all the non ADS-B flights I'm receiving at this moment and it's been like that since I started this hobby back in 2005.
Here to Help.

Triple7

I'm no expert either but I'm pretty sure the callsign is embedded in one of the Mode-S DF's otherwise how would ATC identify each aircraft?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secondary_surveillance_radar#Mode_S

Tim
SBS-1eR, FA ProStick + 1090 filter

Anmer

This Eurocontrol document explains more:

Mode S Elementary Surveillance (ELS)

Within European Mode S airspace:

Aircraft intending to fly IFR as GAT must be Mode S ELS compliant.
    Aircraft intending to fly VFR: requirements differ for VFR flights within the participating States. Consult appropriate AICs/AIPs for the states in which flights will be conducted.
    State aircraft: Co-ordinated exemption arrangements have been established (consult the Civil-Military ATM Coodination Division).

Aircraft compliant with Mode S ELS provide the following functionality (this is also referred to as "Basic Functionality"):

Automatic reporting of Aircraft Identity. This is the callsign used in flight and is automatically presented to the controller.
    Transponder Capability Report. A technical function to enable ground systems to identify the data link capability of the transponder.
     Altitude reporting in 25ft intervals (subject to aircraft capability).
     Flight status (airborne/on the ground). A technical function.
    SI code capability. A technical function to identify transponders capable of operating within a Surveillance Identifier (SI) code ground environment (which permits a reduction in ground infrastructure complexity). Basic functionality with SI code capability is the minimum level permitted for operations in European airspace.

http://www.eurocontrol.int/articles/mode-s-operational-overview
Here to Help.

spotter.ssol

That's very strange. I'd never received any callsign info for mode S only airctraft. Only ICAO id, altitude , V/S, and flight status.

Now I'm confused... are we talking about the same thing or there's some problem/limitation with the RTL+MM2 setup?
--

Anmer

Have you checked your PiAware Dump1090 map and list to see if it shows the flightID?
Here to Help.

spotter.ssol

Sorry Anmer, but I didn't install dump1090. I'm feeding piaware directly from MD2 with BEAST output.
--

Anmer

PiAware has built-in Dump1090.

In your FlightAware feed account there's an option to View Local Traffic.  That will open the map and aircraft list in a browser.
Here to Help.

spotter.ssol

--

Anmer

Quote from: spotter.ssol on March 06, 2016, 01:30:53 PM
I'm using piaware's client only package, it doesn't contain dump1090.
http://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/install

But it still needs Dump1090:

What's needed
If you don't already have a functioning Raspberry Pi running dump1090, these instructions are not for you -- click here to build a receiver from scratch!

Raspberry Pi
Modern Debian Based OS
Internet Connection
dump1090
Here to Help.

spotter.ssol

It needs dump1090 for decoding, of course. But you can replace it by modesdeco2, which is the subject of this topic.  ;)
--

Anmer

Quote from: spotter.ssol on March 06, 2016, 03:18:14 PM
It needs dump1090 for decoding, of course. But you can replace it by modesdeco2, which is the subject of this topic.  ;)

This thread subject is using PiAware with ModeSDeco2 or ModeSMixer.

I suggested you check if PiAware is displaying flightIDs.  You can easily do that.  But if you don't want to, that's fine by me.  Your choice.
Here to Help.

spotter.ssol

But I'm using piaware with modesdeco2 and modesmixer2...  ???
What I'm trying to say is that I (in fact everyone)  don't need dump1090 to feed my piaware, so that's the reason I don't have it installed. It's not the case of "you don't want to", it's just that I don't have it.   ;)
Modesdeco2 is, IMHO,  a fair better piece of software, that's why I choose it.
--

Anmer

Quote from: spotter.ssol on March 06, 2016, 03:47:17 PM
But I'm using piaware with modesdeco2 and modesmixer2...  ???
Modesdeco2 is, IMHO,  a fair better piece of software, that's why I choose it.

I'm not suggesting PiAware is better software.

Your signature says you run PiAware which uses Dump1090 to decode the messages.  That suggests you have the option to check if the absence of a flightID is a caused by ModeSDeco/Mixer or not.

If PiAware doesn't show the flightIDs, the issue may be not having a local ground station to interrogate the aircraft.

As I said, I'm not an expert of Mode-S message specs.  But I do now that some data is only transmitted when requested by a ground station.
Here to Help.

spotter.ssol

I'm not using the whole piaware setup, just the client package.

Back to the problem:
One of the reasons I like modesdeco2 is that, unlike dump1090, it identify if an aircraft is ADS-B capable or not, by showing "A" or "S"  at the flights table.  I don't know if you're used to modesdeco2, but you can see it at the picture I've posted in this page. I never saw any "S" with callsign, and they're the ones sent for mlat.
I'm sucessfuly uploading this data to fligtaware and using the mlat return feed, wich, as expected by ne, does not show any callsign at modesmixer2.
I also invite you guys to look at mlat traffic at fr24: It will show "No Callsign"  for mlat plots.
Maybe it's an information sent by mode S only when requested, as you said.  I'm sure Sergsero could help us in this question when he get fully recovered.
And I'm sorry if anyone got me wrong. English is not my primary language so I can easily be misinterpreted. My only desire here is to help.
--