Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 20, 2024, 06:05:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

AirNav Comstation Teardown

Started by GregoryGHarding, September 13, 2015, 08:08:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anmer

Quote from: GregoryGHarding on October 01, 2015, 04:32:46 PM
Alan McKnight from radarbox

aka Runway31, the volunteer database editor?

I didn't realise he was on AirNav's payroll.

Wait until Andre emails you.  ;)
Here to Help.

Anmer

On the AirNav payroll?  Or the only one who thinks RadarBox24 is "getting better"?  ;)

No bias there.

[Attachment deleted by Admin to save file space]
Here to Help.

GregoryGHarding

Quote from: Anmer on October 03, 2015, 08:29:39 AM

On the AirNav payroll?  Or the only one who thinks RadarBox24 is "getting better"?  ;)

No bias there.
haha tbh maybe not so bias, if he was he woulda rated it 5* lol

Anmer

Another unhappy Comstation host:

did anyone get the new ComStation ? if so can anyone tell me how I can see the RAW DATA from the ComStation Box directly to my computer without going on the web ?? I like the box but its useless if we cant see the data directly,, the radar box im using alredy feeds data to the web and we can view the data directly without going on the web -- if anyone knows a way around it please let us all know or I will have to trash the ComStation box cause its useless -- slingshot01@yahoo.com -- twitter @nycbikerider

He posted a similar message on The Plagiarist's forum but no one bothered to reply.

http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=8459.msg116084#msg116084
Here to Help.

IanH

I find it strange that there has been no publicity from AirNav about this product.

Is it going to vanish as quickly as the overpriced AirNav dongle?

Or is it simply in a testing phase to get user reaction before they ramp up production.

Part exchange against a Radarbox?

Anmer

Quote from: IanH on October 16, 2015, 11:27:54 AM
I find it strange that there has been no publicity from AirNav about this product.

I agree Ian.

And maybe AirNav doesn't want to upset its RadarBox customers who paid a lot for their receivers and network subscriptions?

Brandao is trying to grab a share of the lucrative app market but looking at his RadarBox24 install stats, he's way behind FR24 and Plane Finder with no sign of catching up.  As Birdie keeps reminding us.  ;)
Here to Help.

birdie

Quote from: Anmer on October 16, 2015, 11:49:00 AM
Quote from: IanH on October 16, 2015, 11:27:54 AM

I agree Ian.

And maybe AirNav doesn't want to upset its RadarBox customers who paid a lot for their receivers and network subscriptions?

Brandao is trying to grab a share of the lucrative app market but looking at his RadarBox24 install stats, he's way behind FR24 and Plane Finder with no sign of catching up.  As Birdie keeps reminding us.  ;)

Did I heard " Birdie " ?

Anmer, Thanks for waking me up from my sleep ...

To give "Unique Coverage of WSSS" in www.Radarbox24.com !

birdie

Quote from: Anmer on September 14, 2015, 07:03:26 PM
Quote from: GregoryGHarding on September 14, 2015, 06:41:35 PM
They seem to be all about security. This is the first company I've encountered  that asks you to host equipment for them using your resources and doesn't even let you access the raw feed. I was directed to radarbox24.com after emailing them telling them I cannot access data via regular ports or serial.

In the 8 years I've had dealings with AirNav Systems (aka Andre Brandao), "paranoid" is the word that first springs to mind.

If Brandao had spent more time on understanding business and what makes for success instead of telling everyone that he's the biggest and best, claims that were easily shot down, he wouldn't have been surpassed by the likes of Kinetic, Flightradar24 and FlightAware.

Hosts invest time, electricity, bandwidth and cash (erecting the obligatory external antenna) and justifiably expect something in return.  AirNav always wants everything for nothing and even helps itself to RadarBox owners bandwidth without their expressed permission.

One to avoid.

Only ONE word to describe -

THIEF !

birdie

Quote from: Anmer on September 15, 2015, 07:42:47 AM

And he knows this can't be achieved by the dwindling population of disgruntled RadarBox receivers.  So he needs to distribute a cheap alternative.

In my opinion, Brandao's misunderstood the motivation of hosts and the need to supply a robust device that can deliver quality data with minimum support.

Please count Birdie as one of them !

My RadarBox is still inside my Cats' litter bin, waiting for them to Pooh & Pee on - but my cats got class and have so far refused to do so. LOL.

Anmer

Looks like I kicked off Birdie's dawn chorus.

Silly me. :-X
Here to Help.

Anmer

Poor old Runway 31, believes everything AirNav tells him:

In common with the receivers provided by other trackers the comstation is intended solely to feed data to the host tracker i.e Radarbox24. As such and in common with the other trackers receivers the data is not intended for interception.

Perhaps Runway 31 should do some research before perpetuating Brandao's falsehoods?

I know from personal experience that both FR24 and FlightAware's free receivers allow their hosts to view local data on applications such as RadarView, Dump1090, Virtual Radar Server, PlanePlotter and many others.  It's ComStation that's the odd one out.

And FlightAware displays all local MLAT plots too.

Shame on you Runway 31.  Telling porkies to justify another Brandao cock up.

http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=8420.msg116115#msg116115
Here to Help.

IanH

Just read the AirNav registration blurb:
QuoteYou agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, adult material, or otherwise in violation of any International or United States Federal law.

Tut, tut Runway31  ;D

mt007

Hi,
this box have ATC Audio too.
Regards.
Miguel Teixeira
Beast user, Ex: SBS1er and RB, PP sharer aH Live Traffic

Anmer

Here to Help.

IanH

Looked today and I see  that Radarbox24 site has added ATC audio so suspect Airnav will be taking both positions and audio from each Comstation and sharing it on Radarbox24.