Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 19, 2024, 09:36:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

New version available V2.3.0

Started by mezoo, December 29, 2015, 01:56:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mezoo

Download it at http://virtualradarserver.co.uk/Download.aspx

From the website :
Main Changes

Fixed Aircraft list JSON feeds would sometimes set latitude or longitude to zero
    Fixed Spurious "to"s were being inserted into the audio callouts under W8 / W10
    Fixed Could not select the Portuguese (Brazilian) language under Mono
    Fixed Numeric filter fields could not be cleared
    Fixed Performance issues with opening the Options screen
    Added Support for online lookup of aircraft details, courtesy of PlaneBaseNG
    Added Support for updating web site translations via the Language Pack

Two more interesting changes (for me) are :
- now connects to PlaneBaseNG for aircraft data
- new Database Editor Plugin

Mariner

Good Day,

I have zero knowledge of this product. The home page speaks of needing a radio. Are we speaking about our usual scanner? e.g. I have Uniden Bearcat scanner.

Presently have a new laptop which is running like a dream with a Puck, basestation and BSA etc. Bit nervous messing things up but do like to try different things.

Regds/ 

Anmer

Quote from: Mariner on December 30, 2015, 08:26:59 AM
I have zero knowledge of this product. The home page speaks of needing a radio.

VRS is a browser based display application that can place Mode-S aircraft messages on a map and list, not dissimilar to BaseStation functionality.  It has other features.

The reference to the "radio" is possibly acknowledging the increased use of SDRs (Software Defined Radios) such as the DVB-T "dongles".  I prefer to use the term receiver, which would also encompass dedicated Mode-S receivers such as the SBS/Puck range, Beast/Radarcapes and RadarBoxes, amongst others.

VRS also needs to access decoded messages which means you would need to run some decoding software in addition to using the Mode-S receiver:

Virtual Radar Server was written and tested using Kinetic Avionic's SBS-1er and SBS-3 radios but it will work with anything that can produce the Kinetic text message format, Kinetic's SBS-3 binary format, the AVR "*", "@" or ":" formats or the Mode-S Beast binary format.

VRS is a flexible and continually enhanced product, offering some features that I would have hoped for in BaseStation but development ended years ago.  It can run alongside BaseStation.
Here to Help.

Mariner

Thank you very much for that expanded explanation very much appreciated. I shall probably stick with what I have all working well and fulling all I require.

Thanks again.

RGDS/

mezoo

Anmer,

VRS connects directly to my Radarcape & FR24 receivers and processes their "unchecekd true raw data"

Similarly it can use SBS-3 Raw Feed,
Fallback is always the AVR data on port 30003

Therefore if the receiver can supply one of the data streams then VRS does not require any additional software to run.

The new VRS version can also process JSON formatted data (e.g. from a RadarCape)

Anmer

Here to Help.