Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 04, 2024, 02:10:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

A Naval Vessel

Started by Anmer, April 18, 2016, 06:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anmer

This is in The Bristol Channel, just to the west of Lundy.  Been around for a good few days.

Distance from me is about 40 miles.

I think it's a Type 23 frigate.  But I'm not into **ips.

[Attachment deleted by Admin to save file space]
Here to Help.

corsa

Mike

I don't think you'll ever find out what's going on there.......

But it's a really good picture considering the distance, well done..........

Tom

mhm

Exercise Tom

Been happening until 22.04.2016
Mike
Colon Cancer Survivor for the Time Being

mhm

Today has saw a large amphibious assault on Castlemartin range from HMS Ocean and the French frigate Cassard
2x Chinook, have been ferrying supplies into the beach head, supported by 2x Apaches.A Wildcat has been in over watch and 5x Merlins are on Templeton airfield as troop support. Hawks have been simulating Fast jet top cover.

Exert from fighter control

Mike

Anmer

Thanks Mike.  Very helpful.

Castlemartin is not too far away.  Looking at my pic, it's not the French "jobbie" nor is it HMS Ocean which, according to the Royal Navy website, is supposed to be deployed on Joint Warrior in Scotland!

Not seen any of the air movements.

The CAA says Griffin Strike operates from 11th to 22nd April.  It's the first "outing" of the UK/French Combined Joint Expeditionary Force (CJEF).

None of the vessels mentioned below match my pic, which I still think is a Type 23 frigate.

As for exercise Griffin Strike, a UK-French headquarters will be planning and executing major land, sea and air activity to test the Combined UK and French Joint Expeditionary Force (CJEF).

The CJEF has been developed since 2010 as a product of the bilateral Lancaster House Treaty and will enable the UK and France to deploy forces rapidly to conflict zones ahead of a wider NATO or coalition operation, or to meet peace-keeping, disaster relief or humanitarian assistance requirements.

This exercise will demonstrate the sending of a tri-service force into an area of operations. Aircraft including Typhoon and Rafale jets will operate from RAF Leeming in North Yorkshire, while at sea warships including HMS Ocean, Bulwark and Duncan will work off the south and west coast of England with French ships including FS Dixmude, FS Cassard and FF La Motte Piquet. On Salisbury Plain elements of the Army's 3(UK) Division and French 7th Mechanised Brigade including paratroopers, armored units and infantrymen, will work together.

http://navaltoday.com/2016/04/11/uk-france-kick-off-exercise-griffin-strike/
Here to Help.

corsa

Thanks Gents

Very Informative indeed

Tom

Anmer

Just spotted HMS Ocean sailing east towards Bristol with HMS Bulwark is to the west dispensing landing craft and in between is the French frigate La Motte Piquet.  And a Puma has just flown up the Taf Valley.  How exciting  :)
Here to Help.

Anmer

A bit hazy today so best I can do.  Vessels are about 25 miles away.

In order, I think they are:

FS Dixmude with landing craft nearby.

HMS Bulwark with landing craft nearby.

HMS Ocean (much further away)

Here to Help.

mhm

You should get some good comms from where you are Mike
Mike

Anmer

Quote from: mhm on April 19, 2016, 03:25:51 PM
You should get some good comms from where you are Mike

If I had a radio.  ;)
Here to Help.

corsa

Are you not into comms radio Mike ?

Anmer

Quote from: corsa on April 19, 2016, 03:41:11 PM
Are you not into comms radio Mike ?

Nope.  I used to enjoy listening to civil airband on my Waltham in the early 70s.  Then we moved to near Peterborough and couldn't pick up ground transmissions.  So gave up.  Then I discovered the SBS-1.  ;D

My Waltham looked a bit like this.  Got it from a Freemans catalogue.  :)

Here to Help.

IanH

I used to listen to civil airband (Heathrow Approach) as a lad using one of these
http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/gauer_gauers_vhf_6221.html
And still got it (a bit the worse for wear after years of travelling in a saddlebag) although not powered up in decades. A memento of my youth  ;D

Anmer

I assume this is related to the Griffin Strike exercise.  Took about 5 attempts, and circuits, before I managed to eyeball ZZ664, the RAF's Boeing RC-135W Rivet Joint.

Thanks to FlightAware MLAT.

Here to Help.