Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 01:59:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Acars Frequencies

Started by acarslogger, July 14, 2016, 01:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acarslogger

Hi all,

For all those still interested in acars, it appears that here in SE England that frequency 136.750MHz is no longer used for conventional acars transmissions.

This leaves 3 frequencies; 131.525, 131.725 and 131.825MHz.

Although there appears to be a decline in conventional acars transmissions, there has been a considerable increase in VDL2 digital transmissions which also include acars messages.
Here in SE England there are now 3 VDL2 frequencies - 136.725, 136.875 and 136.975MHz.

Stuart

charliebrown

Hi Stuart,

Can the Kinetic SDR Puck receive and translate these VDL2 digital transmissions ?

As you can tell from my question, I'm not very savvy about ACARS, etc.

Charlie

acarslogger

Hi Charlie,

I haven't got an SDR Puck, but the SBS-3, and I assume the SDR Puck, can only decode the conventional analogue acars transmissions on 131.525, 131.725 and 131.825MHz. The output is displayed via the Basestation AcarsWindow and also is available on a TCP/IP port.

The digital VDL2 transmissions can NOT be decoded directly by either the SBS-3 nor the SDR Puck.
I have suggested to Kinetic / Chris Taylor on a number of occasions, going back to May 2012, the possibility of decoding VDL2, but alas nothing has happened.

It could be that Kinetic believe that enhancing the SBS-3 and SDR Puck firmware / software doesn't increase financial profit.

QuoteCan the Kinetic SDR Puck receive and translate these VDL2 digital transmissions ?
But you can use the IQ Data feed from the SBS-3 (and SDR Puck?) as a digital source to feed SDRSharp and then VDL2 decoding software (MultiPSK) [not free]. It's not straightforward.

Regards
Stuart

charliebrown

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for that.

I think I'll just leave SDRSharp, etc alone for now.

Regards,

Charlie