Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 10:39:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

AD Problems again

Started by Harpic, July 24, 2016, 10:46:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harpic

Hi Guy's,

Got me problems with AD back again, was working all fine on Window 7 but have since changed the lappy hard drive and also upgraded to Window !0
Basestation works fine and is updating, that what my mate tells me.

We have told AD where to look for the Database but on starting AD I am getting this error SD23 can anyone highlight what might be the problem as we have set my system up exactly as my mates system. His works but mine does not

Here is a screen shot of what is happening with AD

[Attachment deleted by Admin to save file space]

Anmer

Is you mate's "system" working OK on the exact copy of your BaseStation.sqb file?

Are you updating your sqb file with data from another source?

http://radarspotting.com/forum/index.php/topic,5227.msg30436.html#msg30436
Here to Help.

Harpic

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the reply, We have not tried my SQB file on my mates system as of yet.
Not sure if he would even try it for me, as he won't want to Cock his one up.

As for other data source, I have always let Base station do it's own thing with AD and have never used date from the likes of PP or any other source.

harpic

Anmer

How big is your sqb file?
Here to Help.

Harpic

Here a screen shot mike.

Anmer

That's quite large, twice the size of mine.

BaseStation Reporter has a Tool->Pack Database.

Maybe try that when BaseStation isn't running?
Here to Help.

Tristar500

Are you using the sqb file from your old system or have you let Basestation create a new one ?
If it's the latter have you let AD create the new tables it needs to work correctly (named 'Active' & 'Alert') ?

The error message implies that the 'Active' table is busy (ie cannot be written to), this could be because it's become corrupted or, maybe because it doesn't exist ( I've never tried running AD without this table so I don't know what error message it throws up in that case)

Even if you have created this table it might be worth re-running the 'create' option again to replace the existing table, making sure that Basestation is not running at the time of course !

Ian

Harpic

Cheers for the replys Mike and Ian,
The data base is the data base from day one just gets up-date with new pops as we go along.
Mike the data base has been packed and is also done about every three months.

This is because I also use the notes box to make a spotting note of where is seen the frame IE: Heathrow or OTT etc.

Ian with regards to your other questions, I am as I said before a bit of a Numpty when it comes down to the way this sbs lark all works, so have to rely on my mate who is a bit computer savvie.

I'll show him your posts and come back to you both with what he say's or tries.

Once again appreciate your help and time guys.

Regards
Harpic

radiosimon

This one has left me scratching my head!

From the looks of things, basestation is updating the sqb file with no issue
(I tested this by updating the info manually, closing basestation down, then opening the info up in basestation reporter).
We've also checked the path so that AD is pointing at the sqb file and not the virtual store
(The sqb file gets bigger everytime basestation closes down).

My own sqb file was first started in 2009 - It's survived a new hard drive and a win10 upgrade and is only just over half a gig in size - I've never understood why Harpic's is over 1Gb! This problem with AD has only just come up with his new HDD & Win 10 upgrade.

We still have his old files on a hard drive, so I'm tempted to used an old back up file that AD created before his Win10 upgrade - if that's assuming Win10 caused the corruption in his current sqb file (since there were no issues running it on win 7)

When I upgraded my own, I had issues with Windows10 seeing me as an administrator - it wouldn't let me read or write to my database in either AD or Basestation until I change the permissions. In this case, it feels like AD doesn't have permission to write to the sqb file.

Triple7

Quote from: radiosimon on July 30, 2016, 03:50:18 PM
My own sqb file was first started in 2009 - It's survived a new hard drive and a win10 upgrade and is only just over half a gig in size - I've never understood why Harpic's is over 1Gb! This problem with AD has only just come up with his new HDD & Win 10 upgrade.

Probably because the sessions that are created each time BaseStation is opened have not been deleted. Unless you particularly want to have a record of every single aircraft you picked up on each day your receiver was on, I'd consider removing them. I still use SBS-1 Populate - remember that? Screen grab below. With BaseStation closed, run the delete sessions and in 50 record steps you can delete them. Pack the database using BaseStation Reporter and magically the size will drop. Mine is 39MB and contains 49000 records.

You can also use SQLite Expert Personal to do the same, there is a vacuum command in there for packing the DB.

Not necessarily related to the problems you and Harpic are seeing, but it might explain the massive size of the DB.

Tim

SBS-1eR, FA ProStick + 1090 filter

Tristar500

Radiosimon & Harpic,
To test if everything is writing & reading correctly you could rename your existing sqb file (to say BasestationX) then run Basestation and allow it to create a new sqb file. On opening AD you should then get asked to create new 'Active' & 'Alert' tables, if AD runs correctly after this then you know all the permissions are correct and that the problem lies with the existing sqb file.
As I suggested in my previous post I would try replacing the 'Active' table in the existing file using the commands in AD (SBS BaseStaion DB > Create/Replace AD Tables) to eliminate any possible corruption in that table.   

radiosimon

Cheers - will give it a go when I see him next! Cheers!

Harpic

Cheers Guys for the helps will let everyone now the out come as soon as Simon has had a look for me.

Harpic

Great news! We think we've cured it!
We tried the suggestion of letting AD populate a new Database - which worked absolutely fine.... until we swapped the old sqb file in its place :(

So what we did, was go back to the old back up files on my old Windows 7 disk and found not the last back up, but the penultimate one. (If the last database back up was also corrupted, we thought that the penultimate one should still be good).

And Bob's your uncle.....

We've tested and tested it again by closing it down to make sure it writes to the database and all seems well.

Thanks to everyone one in the radarspotting family who helped us solve this...! I can now give my IT guy (Simon) the day off!!

radiosimon