Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 11:00:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

New version available V2.4.0

Started by mezoo, August 08, 2016, 05:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mezoo

Andrew has released a new version.

Main Changes

- Menu button stopped working under Firefox 46+
   - Airliner.net links stopped working after their site redesign
    - Messages are now dropped if they come in faster than they can be processed
    - FixedAircraft heading & speed could freeze when aircraft is visible on MLAT and non-MLAT receiver
    - Added Support for specifying a Google Maps API key (now required if putting server onto Internet)
    - Added Support for optional Web Admin plugin
    - Added Lookup of air pressure settings and calculation of indicated altitude
    - Added Support for Plane Finder Radar receiver
    - Added Support for separate JAERO receiver timeouts
    - Added Marker cluster support
    - Updated to Google Maps 3.24

There is now a  64bit version available, but only recommenden for large volume servers.

DONT forget to Update your PLUGINSs  8)

http://www.virtualradarserver.com/Download.aspx

Runs well on my HP Laptop with Win7

MK2wx

Been a year since there was any major forward movement on this one. I do hope to hear that it's going to be developed further. Not heard anything of late.

Decent graphs like ModeSMixer 2 would be really welcome. Actually, now I am thinking about it, the multi tabbed approach for all software of this kind really makes it very usable.

Anyway, it seemed to focus on some sort of pop up info, but only for windows users and then it all seemed to go quiet.

It's got issues running on a Raspberry Pi, which need fixing. OK there is a work around, but it's a bit messy really.

Over all I like VRS probably the best of them all, but it does need freshening up.

VRS, ModeSMixer2 and PiAware Skyview seem to be somewhat stalled just now. That's a real shame because there is still scope for improvement.

Oh well, we can but live in hope for now. ;)
Cheers,
Ian

Anmer

Quote from: MK2wx on August 02, 2017, 06:08:21 AM
VRS, ModeSMixer2 and PiAware Skyview seem to be somewhat stalled just now. That's a real shame because there is still scope for improvement.

VRS and ModeSMixer2 are the products of individuals who, most probably, have full-time jobs elsewhere.  Their software is distributed free of charge and we can't expect them to compete with commercial products, with regular updates and, possibly, additional fees.

With all "one-man-bands", there's always a risk they will lose interest or, as we have sadly experienced more than once, pass away and leave behind undocumented software that no one else can maintain.  And I can think of a number of current "projects" that are exposed like this.

Regrettably, commercial products, such as Kinetic, AirNav Systems and Aurora Eurotech, also "stall", usually when sales prospects dry up.

You mention PiAware Skyview.

The most recent PiAware release was only in April 2017, which included the new Skyview interface.  Looking at the Release Notes, development seems healthy and I'm pretty sure there are further releases planned.

https://discussions.flightaware.com/ads-b-flight-tracking-f21/announcing-piaware-3-latest-version-3-5-0-t37681.html

But as with all free software, the development has to be funded from somewhere and there's no guarantee of this.

I think we have two options:

1. Enjoy it while we can.

2. Develop our own.
Here to Help.

MK2wx

Yes, I agree entirely; what you say is also correct. On reflection, the hobby is a bit delicate just now.

FA PA is the only one that has some potentially commercial incentives at all. It's got the install numbers too. Perhaps that is the best shot for it all? <shrug>?
Cheers,
Ian

IanH

VRS on a RasPi is probably pushing the CPU's capabilities a bit!

As for the software being stalled a bit, what do you want? Developers need to know what end users want. But no guarantee they will do it! At the end of the day, it's free, and a whole lot better than I could ever do.

And if you like bits of each, why not run them all?

I have Piaware running on an Orange-Pi, feeding into ModeSMixer2.

MM2 gives me the option to send the output to VRS, BaseStation, PlanePlotter, GlobeS, ADSBScope.

Or if you want further variants there is FlightAirMap or ADSBBox (not got that one displaying anything yet).

Some I like, some I don't.

Whether the hobby is delicate is debatable. So the dongle took the money away from the commercial hardware manufacturers. But Kinetic hadn't updated BaseStation for ages - perhaps there was nothing they could add easily. Airnav Radarbox software was much the same.

Instead we have the enthusiasts giving us a choice.  8)

MK2wx

Quote from: IanH on August 02, 2017, 08:30:23 PM
VRS on a RasPi is probably pushing the CPU's capabilities a bit!

As for the software being stalled a bit, what do you want? Developers need to know what end users want. But no guarantee they will do it! At the end of the day, it's free, and a whole lot better than I could ever do.

And if you like bits of each, why not run them all?

I have Piaware running on an Orange-Pi, feeding into ModeSMixer2.

MM2 gives me the option to send the output to VRS, BaseStation, PlanePlotter, GlobeS, ADSBScope.

Or if you want further variants there is FlightAirMap or ADSBBox (not got that one displaying anything yet).

Some I like, some I don't.

Whether the hobby is delicate is debatable. So the dongle took the money away from the commercial hardware manufacturers. But Kinetic hadn't updated BaseStation for ages - perhaps there was nothing they could add easily. Airnav Radarbox software was much the same.

Instead we have the enthusiasts giving us a choice.  8)

Again, I can only agree. As Anmer said, enjoy while we can. And as you said make of it what you can!

I'm in the process right now of adding VRS to the PiAware, a bit nerve wracking given I have only just concluded my first month of PA today.  ;)

I just installed mono complete, and copied VRS over from the big linux box to the PI. Just got to remember where those pesky config files live, or more to the point where in VRS it tells you where they are!  ;) It's headless and then there is the crash thing when using vnc and opening the options menu! I've not got a desktop on that one anyway, so it's going to be fun for sure. If it runs and gives me web admin, then I got some paths to shorten, but that might be all there is to do with some luck.  :-\
Cheers,
Ian