Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 07:56:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Basestation gone memory crazy

Started by Saudistu, February 20, 2017, 11:05:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saudistu

Hi Guys,

I had a HD failure on my mini-pc which I use to feed Fr24 and a few other sites 24/7. After buying a new HD and re-installing everything I have encountered a problem. If I look at Basestation in task manager the memory usage just keeps increasing until the point that it crashes. I never had this problem on the old set up. Do you think that setting up some virtual memory would help ? I have 4gb of RAM on this PC. The only thing different is that this time I installed it as 64 bit rather than 32 bit as previously. All other software like Planeplotter runs fine. Thanks for any advice. I am completely lost with this. For info, I have no outlines or waypoints loaded etc as it is purely a feed machine.

Anmer

Hi Stu

BaseStation.exe isn't that demanding of memory.  What are you seeing?

Is your PC able to support 64bit Windows?

Have you tried running Basestation with an "empty" OperatorFlags folder?
Here to Help.

Saudistu

Hi Mike,

Operator Flags folder is empty. I am starting to think the PC can't handle 64 bit Windows. I am just about to start over with the originally supplied 32 bit version. Hopefully this will fix it.

Regds.....Stu

Saudistu

Hi Mike,

I installed the old 32bit Windows and when I first open Basestation it uses around 32mb of RAM. After half a day this is up to 650mb of RAM. I notice that my Basestation.sqb file is being written to all the time. Is there a way to stop this in settings. I change this .sqb file once a week anyway and can not understand why it is being written to. I have no logos loaded and not even any waypoints. The only thing I have is range rings. I notice also that over time the amount of Aircraft showing in planeplotter seems to decrease. It's like Basestation is imploding on itself. I had no problems before. The only difference is the old drive was a hybrid SSD/HDD. Could this be an issue ? One other thing with Planeplotter. When I load it it gives me an error message saying flightroute.sqb is not there and to check the Log Files folder is not read only. It isn't, and the sqb is in there. Thanks for any help !

Regds......Stu

Anmer

Hi Stu

Check your PP settings.  Are you accepting sqb updates from PP, "shared regs and types"?

The sqb file will constantly be updated by your SBS-1 messages.  That's normal.

What happens if you don't run PP?

Did you install BaseStation to the default Program Files location and is PP pointing to the active folders?

My BaseStation is using 550MB memory and it's been running for about a week.
Here to Help.

Saudistu

Hi Mike,

I fixed the Flightroute.sqb problem. It was pointing to the wrong folder. Basestation is in the Kinetic folder within Program Files. As far as I can tell PP is set up correct. The TCP/IP port is 30006 and sharing to Flightaware, FR24 and Mil Mode-s all runs ok. I am at a loss really.

Anmer

Hi Stu

Try and eliminate possible causes, such as running BaseStation and not PP.
Here to Help.

Saudistu

Hi Mike,

Ok, I noticed something unusual. I start Basestation, all runs ok. I then start Planeplotter and it runs and shares, but in between shares to PP and Flaightaware, it says in the bottom left corner "Network Error 183". Then, once I have started FR24 feed software, this error goes away. Strange. Could it be that both Planeplotter and FR24 need port 30006 and this is not allowed ? When I have these three softwares running, Basestation cannot be viewed, as in when it is minimised it won't open up again unless I first close the others. I suspect a resource issue. Maybe I need to think about getting a SSD drive.

Regds.......Stu

Anmer

Thanks Stu.

I don't think it's storage related.  More likely contention.

Are you sharing to FlightAware and FR24 via PlanePlotter Secondary Sharing?

[Attachment deleted by Admin to save file space]
Here to Help.

Saudistu

Hi Mike,

Planeplotter only shares to Flightaware. I use the stand alone FR24 software that links to Basestation as I believe that is the only way to maintain a Business account. If you feed from PP to FR24 you don't get the Business account. I start to think it could be something to do with Port and IP settings. I will get there in the end !

Regds.....Stu

Saudistu

Hi Mike,

Just a thought, do you connect your SBS-3 to Planeplotter, maybe you could show me what your I/O settings page looks like and Non Volatile Memory etc.

Regds....Stu

Anmer

Hi Stu

I don't regularly use PlanePlotter.

But I just tested it using Basestation from and SBS-1.

Options -> Mode-S receiver -> Kinetic SBS family -> SBS1-BS IP address _> 127.0.0.1

Options -> I/O settings -> SBS1/RBv3 TCP

My SBS-3 is sat here on the shelf.  I normally run PP off a DVB-T SDR and RPi.
Here to Help.

Triple7

From the PP Wiki:

Error code 183

Please check your Options..I/O settings dialogue.
    Have you enabled the UDP/IP output - most probably with an IP address and/or port that did not exist or was not open.
    Disable (uncheck) UDP/IP output unless you know what it is for, and are actually using it.

Reference: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/planeplotter/message/7388

Note that with the advent of hypersharing and local auto mlats, you should expect 183 messages to become more common as you will be firing off UDP packets all over the place including to some remote GS destinations offered in good faith but not actually set up correctly.  If the messages are persistent, then by all means check your I/O settings for anything silly, but otherwise just put it down to being part of the milieu.

Reference: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/planeplotter/message/46476

http://planeplotter.pbworks.com/w/page/17117299/Common%20error%20messages#Errorcode183

Maybe something, maybe not.

Tim
SBS-1eR, FA ProStick + 1090 filter

Saudistu

Quick update. In the end i uninstalled Basestation completely and re-installed it again. Problem gone. Maybe something was wrong with the Basestation.sqb file, I don't really know. Anyway it runs fine now. The Network Error 183 was down to UPD/IP output being selected. Thanks for that tip Tim !

Saudistu

OK, so the problem is back. I "think" it is related to the FR24 feeder software. When I have Planeplotter, Basestation and FR24Feed all running, in Task Manager I see that Basestation now always shows "not responding" and the RAM usage increases over time. As soon as I close down the FR24Feed.exe then Basestastion starts to work normally again.

A thought on this. Could it be that both Plan4Feed are trying to get data from the same port on the SBS-3 ? Is there away that I can satisfy the needs of Planeplotter AND FR24Feed by taking data from different ports ? I only use the FR24Feed softwareasI believe you have to use this to get the Business account, otherwise I would just add it to the Planeplotter Sharing output which I also use to feed Flightaware.