Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 10:15:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

I'm new and would appreciate a shove in the right direction please...

Started by Der Flieger, March 20, 2017, 05:49:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Der Flieger

Firstly, hello all. I'm new to this forum having found it on my quest for info on kit/software/websites for our shared hobby.

Here's my question. I'm currently a Gold subscriber to Flightradar24 and I'm looking to upgrade to have my own ADS-B station at home. I would like to start with a relatively modest setup and thus, I have already bought a Raspberry Pi 3. I'm now looking to buy a dingle and an antenna etc. Having looked around, the consensus appears to be that Flightaware's USB Pro is pretty good. Would this work with the FR24 and do I need the 1090mhz Flightaware filter? Would I also benefit from spending a little more money and go for an external antenna? Finally, should I stick with FR24?  I only run Mac OSX computers and I'm in the UK should that should have an influence on your advice.

I really pleased to have found this forum and look forward to speaking about our hobby.

Kind regards,

Andrew

Anmer

Quote from: Der Flieger on March 20, 2017, 05:49:30 PM
Would this work with the FR24 and do I need the 1090mhz Flightaware filter? Would I also benefit from spending a little more money and go for an external antenna? Finally, should I stick with FR24?  I only run Mac OSX computers and I'm in the UK should that should have an influence on your advice.

Welcome.

1. The FlightAware Pro Stick is ideal for Mode-S data.  If you suffer from RF interference, you may want to consider the Pro Stick Plus which has the in-built filter.  Otherwise get a Pro Stick.  You can always add an external filter at a later date.

2. Either will work for FR24.

3. If you can install an external antenna where it has a good view of the sky in all directions, away from obstacles that could block the data, such as buildings, trees and high ground, it is worth the extra outlay.  Or start with an small internal one and experiment with the location.  The quality and length of coax cable must also be a consideration.

4. Once you're up and running, you can the decide to which tracking sites to share your data.  FR24 has the benefit of a free Business account and apps.  FlightAware has a free Enterprise account.  You can configure your RPi to share with more than one at the same time.
Here to Help.

IanH

I would agree that the FlightAware dongle is the one to go for. I would recommend the Pro Plus with its built in filter but that is out of stock at the only UK  (European?) supplier: https://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi/breakout-boards/flightaware
The extra £5 for the Plus is a no-brainer if it's in stock  :(

For software on the Pi I would recommend the Flightaware script here:
http://discussions.flightaware.com/ads-b-flight-tracking-f21/ads-b-receiver-project-setup-scripts-t36532.html

It installs dump1090 (to get the data from the dongle) and then allows you to specify what other software to install. Piaware is Flightaware's software, but you can also install the FR24 and PlaneFinder scripts to send them your data as well. It may look complicated but if you can follow simple instructions it works. And people are willing to help if it all goes wrong first time - just reformat SD card and try again so no harm done.

And for antenna, external is ideal but you might be surprised at the range you can get from one indoors. Depends if you are going for the record distance or just what you can see. There are instructions for building your own antenna on the internet - Flightaware forum has examples but that is not all. Buy or make - perhaps it all depends on how much money you have or your DIY skills.

Whatever. come back here for advice or to boast how you get 300 mile range from 50p of scrap cable  ;)

Triple7

SBS-1eR, FA ProStick + 1090 filter

Graham Bell

IanH

I forgot - and an old tin can = "Cantenna".

Have to love abcd567 on Flightaware forum  ;D