Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 10:49:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Com station getting slower to boot up....

Started by G-CONC, October 30, 2017, 02:03:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G-CONC

I have been using my com station since July 2017 over the last 2/3 months is takes longer to reboot after a power interruption, also the internet here in the Philippines is very slow and I thought this was slowing down the reboot. So a call to the ISP and I had Fibre Optic internet put in.  The router supplied has 4 ports like all the rest but I was told that only one was for a PC. One was for online TV channels and the other two were for future things to come. I was told to connect a network switch to make up for the lost LAN ports. I bought a 8 port Gigabit switch and it works great with my 3 other computers in the family, the Wi-Fi is very fast also. After the new system was activated the box was still very slow to boot up when it did, all the lights on the front panel were working as they should but no ADS-B signals were being received  and the box was showing Offline to the internet. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience of using a switch to connect a Com Station???? I have tested the antenna and there is no short circuit in the cable. In a 24 hour period the average count of aircraft is around 40 but the last 2 days have been zero. Need help please to solve this. Wayne

[Attachment deleted by Admin to save file space]

birdie

To give "Unique Coverage of WSSS" in www.Radarbox24.com !

Anmer

Welcome.

Have you contacted AirNav Systems support?

How are you measuring the "slow reboot"?  At what stage do you determine it's finally "booted"?

The lack of aircraft could be antenna related, maybe a wet connection.  The reboot is of more interest.
Here to Help.

G-CONC

Hi again Mike. I normally don't switch off the unit unnecessary but after a power interruption the unit takes around 40 /50 seconds to reboot and the mode s light begins to flash receiving a transmission, but over the last few weeks it started to take longer and then started to hang, so I had to switch off and wait 2 minutes and on again. I have sent a message to AirNav requesting their help but as with past e-mails they don't always respond too quickly. The point when I feel that the unit has finally booted is when the status light has started to flash and the mode s light also is flashing the Ethernet light also shows when traffic is being sent and received. Now it just sits there with no indication of receiving ADS-B signals. I can see from the many flight tracking web sites that there are aircraft in the area and these are the ones I used to pick up every day. I was just asking if you think using a mode s receiver through a switch is ok.

Anmer

Thanks.

I don't have a ComStation so my response is generic.

From your description, the "boot completed" state is when the LED starts to flash, indicating it's receiving (and maybe processing) ADS-B/Mode-S data.

This delay could be caused by a an antenna issue.  Or a ComStation software or hardware malfunction.  I do not think the Internet connection via a network switch is an issue.  I'm running numerous Mode-S receivers through various network switches and there are no problems.

The first thing I'd try is a different antenna and cable.  But I appreciate you may not have one available.

AirNav ought to be able to run remote diagnostics on the ComStation and provide direct help.  Is the ComStation a free one supplied by AirNav or did you buy it?
Here to Help.

G-CONC

And there I thought you had a good memory...... you can remember the long message I sent you when you were way from home and you told me of the strange route the e-mail took to reach you? well this is the box that Andre sent me to replace the older model Radar box that was sent to Portugal. it has a number of 300297 so it was not a new one but it was a free exchange... I will try another antenna and also have a piece of coax around 15 feet just to test. Thanks for your help Mike. Wayne. I will let you know

G-CONC

Hi Mike, just as I expected tried with 1090Mhz Antenna and new coax cable still the same not receiving ADS-B signal had 3 track right over my location and still no signal. Must be hard/software problem, Hope they can do something remotely. Thanks anyway for your advise. Wayne