Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 06:34:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

GNS 5890 on a Pi

Started by gcopter1, April 09, 2018, 04:40:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gcopter1

I have one laying around and was wondering if I could use it with an RPI3.

Anmer

Maybe someone knows how to get the GNS5890 working on an RPi but it doesn't look like it does out-of-the-box:

Driver support for Windows XP/Vista/2000/7/8/10 and Android V4.0 and higher.

usable on Notebook, PC or tablet PC
supports Windows XP/Vista/2000/7/8/10

http://www.gns-gmbh.com/index.php?id=238&L=1
Here to Help.

IanH

This link describes how to get it working to feed FR24:
https://forum.flightradar24.com/threads/7228-How-to-get-the-GNS-5890-ADS-B-Receiver-amp-Raspberry-Pi-working

It uses ADSBox as the interface to the dongle.

I have a microADSB dongle which is very similar to the GNS-5890. The files provided with each seem identical.

Instead of needing to compile ADSBox to receive the data, I thought modesmixer2 might work instead.

On a virtual PC running Ubuntu I tried (instead of the adsbox command):
./modesmixer2 --web 8092 --location xx.xx:yy.yy --inSerial /dev/ttyUSB0:115200

But I keep getting:
ERROR    inSerial(/dev/ttyUSB0:115200) error open Permission denied

I've tried:
changing permissions for the device: no success
running with sudo but get: ERROR    inSerial(/dev/ttyUSB0:115200) error open Inappropriate ioctl for device

At this point I'mout of ideas due to lack of knowledge about how hardware interacts with Linux: you might have more luck on a Raspberry Pi since that is what the instructions were intended for ;D

Or spend a few dollars on an RTL dongle and save time.

sergsero

Hi,

I have not used microADSB dongle for a long time, but I think in Linux it creates a device (case sensitive): /dev/ttyACM0.
When receiver was connected to USB port you can check the name of the created device with the command: ls -la /dev/tty*.

/sergsero

IanH

Sergsero

Thanks - that worked.  8)

But seems hardly worth the effort. The message rate is low and so is the range compared to what I remember for a dongle in same location.

I'll do a comparison of a dongle and the microADSB using a better aerial and position.

Regards

Ian