Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 04, 2024, 04:33:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

PlanePlotter and Windows 10

Started by xtraham, April 25, 2018, 08:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xtraham

I'm a rookie new user to plane tracking and PlanePlotter. My intent as a beginner s very simple, I want to monitor ACARS and get tracking info, specifically tail numbers and aircraft info. A pic of the aircraft would be a plus.

My questions relate to getting PlanePlotter software to interface with my pc and my Uniden BCD536HP scanner.
I'm currently having trouble getting PlanePlotter to get input from my scanner and soundcard.

Equipment being used:

PC running fresh install of Windows 10
BCD536HP scanner which is scanning the ACARS freqs.
PC hooked to scanner via a USB cable
Soundcard is the default Windows 10 pc soundcard

I have my pc running Proscan software, which is logging ACARS hits, so I know that the USB cable is working from the scanner to the pc. However, PlanePlotter using the "Signal View" shows no signal input at all from the soundcard. I've tried adjusting the soundcard levels, to no avail. I've also tried running a cable from the scanner out port to the line in port on the pc, to no avail.

Note that I have not yet registered Plane Plotter, as I'm reluctant to spend the $$ until the software until it's actually working.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, for simple ACARS monitoring and info, is PlanePlotter the right choice for software, or should I be considering something else?

Thanks.

Scott

Anmer

Welcome.

Have you configured PlanePlotter to access your soundcard?

Take a look at the PlanePlotter Help (menu option) and search on ACARS.
Here to Help.

xtraham

Hi, thanks for the response. Yes, I've configured PP to use the correct soundcard. In fact, I've tried several ways. I've tried to use my BCD536 scanner via the usb cable, using the Windows soundcard. I've tried using a cable from the scanner into the line in on the pc. I've also tried using my Airspy HF+, again using the default Windows soundcard, with no joy. No matter what I do, I'm not getting a signal to show up in the PP signal view.

Windows 10 default soundcard properties are for a 2 channel 41k codec; I've tried a 2 channel 48k codec. Neither works.

If that's not enough, when PP loads, I get a message that I need to go into PP Options/Scripts/Fetch registration and types and download. Perhaps that's because it's the freeware version at this point, I'm not sure.

So far PP is a tough install!

Anmer

Quote from: xtraham on April 26, 2018, 03:53:11 AM
So far PP is a tough install!

PP is a feature rich product that would benefit from a usability makeover.  I've been "preaching" this message for years and been "beaten up" many times by the PP aficionados.

However that doesn't help your cause.

Unfortunately I don't have the equipment here to test the ACARS feature.  Have you tried posting on the PP Yahoo Group "forum"?  But that suggestion comes with a health warning.

Maybe our member Acarslogger can help?
Here to Help.

HF-GCS

Hey Scott,

unfortunately, i have no experience with the BCD536HP, but on my BCT15X there is a special menu item for activate the record function on a particular channel!
Perhaps there is something similar on the BCD536HP!?
I can reach this function with the following steps....
press "Menu" -> "Program System" -> "Civ Air" (name of my system) -> "Edit Group" -> "ACARS" (name of my group) -> "Edit Channel" -> "EU 131.725" (name of my channel) -> scroll down to "Set Record" -> "On"

Now the audio out on this particular channel/frequency is open an the signal is going through the audio cable to the line-in of the PC!

So far i know, Planeplotter don't accept the ACARS signal via USB cable, he need a signal on the line-in of the PC from an external scanner.
I hope this helps!