Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 01:59:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

sbs-3 helps please

Started by n1tr0mad, May 16, 2018, 06:02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

n1tr0mad

Hi all, sorry if in wrong place it to do with my whole setup 8)

i have a sbs-3 with kinetic aerial and re-amp kit , i have only just reconnected all my radios after 3 years (house remodel)

i live in Thame and i am getting ~150 hits at about maximum of 150nm my aerial is ~79m above sea level now is this good ?

the problem is if i power up the amp my numbers drops! to 50-60 hits at about 75-90nm and if left long enough no hits with all blue lights on sbs 3 out (takes days) this did not happen when new

my cable is shireen RFC 400, i do remember having to file the core down to fit center pins on, so all the copper was removed down to aluminium core .(told by shop to this when questioned the cable did not fit) i have a diamond sp3000 fitted as well,i now know its a lightning protection not static protection as requested this is on a earthing plate earthing another sp1000, the plate is then earthed via 25m2 cable to earth spike.

now my other aerial an crappy plastic £20 job used for airband is half missing ! so i am having a local company install a new diamond d777 with messi & paoloni airborne 10 cable and connectors on the 1090mhz mast along with same cable and connectors to "rewire" the adsb stuff.

it makes sense if its the amp i will have it removed or replaced with all other work, so with the info above whats your views on the problem ? or if it even worth replacing the amp and bias T ?

would a new 1090mhz aerial be of any benefit like the radar 110 ? is the kinetic stuff Watson aerial ? (my as the 3 small radials)

thanks
Gav

Anmer

Welcome.

Is the Bias-T being used the correct way around?  Is the power adapter polarity correct?

How long is the cable to the antenna and are the connectors good?  I don't understand why you had to "file the core down to fit center pins on"?

For ADS-B you should use low loss 50 ohm cable such as Ecoflex, Westflex, RG213 or CS29.
Here to Help.

n1tr0mad

Quote from: Anmer on May 16, 2018, 06:14:04 PM
Welcome.

Is the Bias-T being used the correct way around?  Is the power adapter polarity correct?

How long is the cable to the antenna and are the connectors good?  I don't understand why you had to "file the core down to fit center pins on"?

For ADS-B you should use low loss 50 ohm cable such as Ecoflex, Westflex, RG213 or CS29.

Hi thanks for reply

when i ordered the cable i asked for connectors to suit the cable (shop recommended shireen RFC400 http://www.shireeninc.com/wp-content/uploads/PDF-files/PDF-%20CABLE%20Spec%20Sheets/Coaxial%20Cables/Specs-RFC400.pdf)

i stripped the cable to fit the center solder pin (n type) but the centre core was too thick when i questioned the shop they said file it down it won't make an difference so i did..........
all connectors was good (apart from aforementioned centres) at time of install i heat shrunk the connectors too (i can't gain access to aerials myself as i really do not like heights)

Bias T is right way round ,using same power plug that came with kit.

the messi & paoloni airborne 10 is 50 ohms, has Attenuation of 3.6/100ft at 1000mhz. The cable runs are max 15m/49ft

thanks again
Gavin

Anmer

Thanks.

The cable spec looks OK.

If the connector works without the pre-amp, I would suspect the preamp.  Mine is 13 years old and still working good.  Do you know the make and spec?

If you don't want to scramble up ladders to check it and the connectors or change the antenna and/or cable, maybe accept what you're getting without the amp?

I'm not into airband so can't help with that antenna and cable.  Hopefully someone else will chip in.
Here to Help.

mhm

The d777 antenna for air band covers both Civil and military. Ideal if you want both.
The cable spec is good have just read the details may try this when I replace mine if it gets a problem.
Had both antennas up for years now no lightning arresters, works very well good coverage from Kinetic Puck with no amp
Mike
Colon Cancer Survivor for the Time Being

n1tr0mad

Quote from: Anmer on May 16, 2018, 06:46:20 PM
Thanks.

The cable spec looks OK.

If the connector works without the pre-amp, I would suspect the preamp.  Mine is 13 years old and still working good.  Do you know the make and spec?

If you don't want to scramble up ladders to check it and the connectors or change the antenna and/or cable, maybe accept what you're getting without the amp?

I'm not into airband so can't help with that antenna and cable.  Hopefully someone else will chip in.

Hi again

SBS via VRS is working with pre-amp and bias t inline but not powered only when powered it affects. i done the "heywhatsthat" thing and "should in theory" get ~250nm. Current best is 156nm most sitting at about 130nm.

as stated in my first post im having a local company install the new airband stuff. so wanted to get opinions on what might be wrong so i can get all the work done in one visit  ;D so if just a new aerial with this new cable would improve signal or replace amp etc i get done at same time

i notice the "new" ads-b aerials now dont have radials is this just looks ? (my do have them)

far as i can remember or see on the bias T  anyways there no makers mark but is same as this pic (not much good i know) it all came as one kit aerial pre-amp and bais-t

MHM : yes i plan to use the d777 for both :) i think i was bit done by when i first started this hobby as i was lead to believe my lightning arresters was in fact static protection (i should of asked on here or done more research)

thanks
Gavin

Anmer

Quote from: n1tr0mad on May 16, 2018, 07:08:39 PM
as stated in my first post im having a local company install the new airband stuff. so wanted to get opinions on what might be wrong so i can get all the work done in one visit

Maybe the same company could install a new 1090 Mhz antenna and cable at the same time, forget the preamp?

None of my external 1090 Mhz antenna have radials.
Here to Help.

n1tr0mad

Quote from: Anmer on May 16, 2018, 07:20:12 PM
Quote from: n1tr0mad on May 16, 2018, 07:08:39 PM
as stated in my first post im having a local company install the new airband stuff. so wanted to get opinions on what might be wrong so i can get all the work done in one visit

Maybe the same company could install a new 1090 Mhz antenna and cable at the same time, forget the preamp?

None of my external 1090 Mhz antenna have radials.

Hi

i will :) is there a "better" aerial to get over the rest ? or they all more less the same ?
i know this all depends on location etc but what your coverage like ? i am leaning towards no amp on new install

thanks
Gavin

Anmer

Here are my 5 FlightAware feeders.  You can see a polar diagram for each.  None of these have a preamp and they perform just as well as my SBS-1 which uses a dedicated Wimo antenna with a Bias-T powered preamp.

https://uk.flightaware.com/adsb/stats/user/MikePWC

13134, 23623 and 56406 share a FlightAware external, chimney mounted antenna using a used (off ebay) Mini-Circuits ZB4PD1-2000 Power Splitter/Combiner, 2000 MHz.
28190 has a window mounted Taylor Made RF antenna, north facing first floor.
72322 has another FlightAware antenna, attached to a suction cup aluminium glass carrier "stuck" to a west facing first floor window.  I bought the clamp from Toolstation and it's proved very effective and has survived the 80mph gales we get here.

The location is approx with high ground to the west.

This is the chimney installation.

https://radarspotting.com/forum/index.php/topic,5421.0.html

And here are the two window mounted ones.  Those are cable ties not radials.  :)

[Attachment deleted by Admin to save file space]
Here to Help.

n1tr0mad

that rather impressive, looks bit like the CIA is living there mind you :)

i ordered a watson aerial and it will be install with my airband stuff :)

Anmer

Quote from: n1tr0mad on May 16, 2018, 08:50:08 PM
that rather impressive, looks bit like the CIA is living there mind you

That's what my wife keeps saying.  ;)
Here to Help.

n1tr0mad

well everything is done just waiting on installers now  8)

i used self-amalgamating rubber tape to seal the plugs this time

Current layout might be able to see the pre-amps and the plastic tube aerial that didn't work for long  ???

new layout ready to be installed

Gav

Anmer

Quote from: n1tr0mad on May 18, 2018, 03:29:04 PM
i used self-amalgamating rubber tape to seal the plugs this time

A very good idea.

Thanks for the photos and let's hope it all works out well.
Here to Help.

n1tr0mad

yeah i hope it helps

toying with idea of leaving current aerial up (without amp) to plug into a flightaware so i can get mlat into my VRS :P

gavin

Graham Bell

Gavin-Remind me again please what the two antennas in your picture are ?
Regards-
G.B.