Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 03, 2024, 05:37:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

ADSBox and squawk

Started by aeroradio, February 10, 2019, 03:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aeroradio

Hi all,

I'm testing ADSBox on Linux computer. I have quite a longtime background with ADS-B (I started with SBS-1 and then played with RTL USB dongles and several Windows softwares). So, now I want to try with Linux.

I don't understand why there is only a few squawk codes displayed when receiving with ADSbox. About 85 aircrafts in the list and only 5 showing squawks. I tried to find an explanation, a reason, looked at my friend Google   ;)  but got no answer from him.

Could someone tell me why there is such a low rate of squawk codes displayed ?

Many thanks !

Denis

aeroradio

I give up with this software, unable to get good results.

Denis

IanH

Just started the version I have running under Linux and I see squawks for over 90% of the targets.

What is your source for the data - perhaps that is not including squawks.

aeroradio

Hi Ian,

Thanks for coming on this topic. The source I'm using is an RTL dongle that works well with Dump 1090 (I get all squawks codes with Dump 1090 + VRS).
Maybe my computer is not powerful enough to run ADSBox ? It's a Dell laptop with an I2 processor and 2 GB memory. Using Mint 18.3.

Denis

IanH

It might not be your computer.

What command line are you using with dump1090?

aeroradio

Ian,

Dump 1090 is launched with --interactive --net --net beast
and datas are displayed by VRS using port 30005 and all is OK with the squawks (I can compare with my Windows installation)

ADSBox is launched with --rtlsdr --lat 48.00 --lon -1.80 and watching datas in the list, I see very few squawks.

Thanks for your help.

Denis

IanH

Looks like you are running ADSBox on the Pi (--rtl-sdr parameter) whereas I am running it on a PC, receiving data from the Pi and viewing the web page on the PC. Perhaps that is the difference.

aeroradio

OK Ian... but it could also be my mistake. Maybe my parameters are wrong. I don't have a Pi, I run it on the Linux laptop PC... The RTL dongle is connected to the PC.
Am I wrong with parameters ?

Will be back tomorrow, have a good night !

IanH

No it is me who is confused.

My setup is different to yours so I made a mistake - probably why we are getting different results.

I realise now that you have a PC with RTL-SDR dongle attached. I need to test that.

aeroradio

OK Ian, I'm interested in your results when you will have done the test with your PC.

A friend of mine, who is running ADSBox in the same conditions (Linux Mint and RTL dongle directly attached to the PC) has the same problems : only very few squawks are displayed. Maybe be both of us misunderstood something.

atty

aeroradio,
I confirm ADSBox has deficit decoding DF5, DF21 with squawks when using sdr dongles. You can also see it with DF MASK on Flight Board panel. I try fix it and report here.

aeroradio

Hi atty,

Thanks for your comment... I spent a long time searching where my mistake could be so, now, I have an explanation and I will stop searching an error from me.
Hope you will find a solution, we'll wait for it.

By the way, I have a question atty : is it possible to use dump1090 as the data source and use ADSbox with it, both running on the same computer ? I didn't find the command line to write for such situation.

Denis

atty

aeroradio,
ADSBox support wide list of data sources (hex AVR, beast... see full list with --help option). You can use dump1090 with ADSBox if dump1090 can stream decoded data in one of supported format. Since I do not use dump1090 I can not give you more detailed answer.
Pay attention to ADSBox and dump1090 servers running at once. Those servers could not use the same ports or you get 'address already in use' error.
If you find how to stream data with dump1090 I'll help you with ADSBox command line to connect to this feed.

aeroradio

atty,

I do appreciate your help, many thanks.

Dump1090 is able to issue a stream on ports 30003 (SBS-1 format) 30005 (beast format). My local address is 192.168.0.106.
So I wrote this command line for ADSbox :

./adsbox --beast-server 192.168.0.106 --beast-server-port 30005 --lat 48.02 --lon -1.71

but the software immediately closes...
I suspected a conflict between both dump1090 and ADSbox servers and it seems that you confirm it...
Is my syntax correct ? In that case, I could try to change something, maybe the 30005 port address in dump1090 to avoid the conflict. Am I right ?

aeroradio

atty,

It works, now !

I just changed the dump1090 defaut ports (http, SBS-1, beast) to other numbers and now there is no conflict.
I first changed only beast port, it didn't worked, I got the "already in use" error message.
It seems we must change all ports numbers in dump...

So dump1090 can now feed data to ADSbox and I have the squawks. Waiting you to find the solution for squawks decoding in ADSbox so we didn't need dump.

Denis