Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 11:56:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

AirNav Micro RadarBox ADSB stick

Started by swl5656, April 07, 2019, 09:07:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swl5656

Hello all,

I recently bought an AirNav Micro RadarBox ADSB stick to replace my broken AirNav RadarBox 3D.

https://radarbox24.myshopify.com/collections/adsb-receivers/products/micro-radarbox

This new ADSB stick cost only, at the time, 5.95 from Amazon and I had no idea how it would compare, but it was cheap and I had limited other choices of other ADSB receivers with the ones I really wanted for MLAT being no longer available.

To date I have been pleasantly surprised by the results, the Micro RadarBox appears to be as sensitive as its larger more expensive brother was. My ranges for received aircraft max out at just under 400 km which is what I expect given a perfect line of sight path and I live in a very mountainous area here in the Lake District.

The software I use is AirNav's own 'RadarBox' v.6.02.003 combined with Virtual Radar Server (VRS) mapping and the excellent colour Silhouettes and Operator Flags from here.

For the price I can't fault it, I know other ADSB receivers are probably superior but it suits my needs for now.

Regards

Philip G0ISW

http://www.qsl.net/g0isw

AirSpy R2, Uniden Bearcat BCT15X & UBC-125XLT scanners for VHF/UHF with ProScan & Scan125 software
FlightAware Pro Stick & AirNav Micro Radarbox ADSB / Virtual Radar Server / Feeding SkyScanWorld & Freedar

Anmer

Welcome and thanks for the introduction.

At $5.95, AirNav is subsidising the receiver to get your data feed.  But that's the market economy at work.  8)

I bought the AirNav Flightstick when it was first launched, paying 4 times today's price.

I use it with FlightAware's PiAware and can't fault its performance.  But, out of principle, I won't share my data with AirNav.
Here to Help.

Paul_H1

I recently got one of these as well, as was looking for a cheap alternative to travel with (I normally use a sbs-1er at home which is great, but somewhat nervous taking it to certain countries). For under £6 it was well worth trying out.

The main downside I found is that the Airnav software won't open unless you're online. If anyone knows a way around that it would be appreciated. Or alternative offline software that it could be used with, and you don't need to be a programmer to set up?

It's also a shame that it can't be linked to Planebase to show ones that are needed, unlike Basestation.

But yes, apart from the 2 points above (which are software rather than hardware related), it does work very well and is a bargain at the current price.