Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 11:56:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

SBS-Populate is re-born and running

Started by Pipo, February 01, 2021, 01:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pipo

Added Note - 9th August 2023.

Please note that the dutchradar.nl database server hasn't been available for at least a year so don't expect SBS-1 Populate to work for remote data lookups.

Hello all members,

- Today - GREAT NEWS -

We from www.dutchradar.nl and the hard work of the owner of www.dutchradar.nl Michel can announce that:

SBS-POPULATE Is back online and running. At this moment there are +/- 450.000 hex-codes inside the database which are accessible by the SBS-populate software.

We are also working in the coming month (February - March) to release the website so users can add new hex-codes. So that the database will be up2date.

We test it with SBSPopulate v 1.64.0.13c and it is working great.

Download link: https://dutchradar.nl/download/sbspopulatedb_1.64.0.13c.zip

So everyone can re-use the app to auto populate there basestation.sqb file.

For more info and tips: info@dutchradar.nl
SBS-1e & SBS-3 Raspberry Pi 3 & Pi 4
Uniden UBC125XLT

Anmer

Thanks for letting us know of this development and posting the links.

I have downloaded the 64 bit version of SBSPopulate from the DutchRadar.nl site and can confirm it is working with its database.  I never had the 64 bit version of SBSPopulate so mine was a fresh install.

If you have a 64 bit version already installed, you may need to remove it and download the updated version from DutchRadar.nl.

Whilst this will be a welcome development, I do have some concerns which others may share.

SBSPopulate was developed by the late Gary Jones in association with The Gatwick Aviation Society.

The updated version retains the original version number - 1.64.0.13 - and displays Gatwick Aviation Society.

The Help -> About clearly shows the Copyright belongs to The Gatwick Aviation Society.

Unless the Copyright has passed to DutchRadar.nl or it's been granted a licence to distribute SBSPopulate, I'm reluctant to add a link to the new download as requested.

[attachment deleted reduce file load]
Here to Help.

Pipo

What i know is that the domain / website was free to register for use, and Michel bought that domain. The plan is in the future that he is going to find a person that can write in .net software to make it free from GAS name and be more linked to Dutchradar.nl, for this moment he is using the old sbspopulate tool to let it work for others.
Uniden UBC125XLT

Anmer

Thanks, I understand.

There may not be an issue but it might be a good idea to check with GAS that this is OK?
Here to Help.

IanH

The 64 bit original GAS file and the downloadable file are identical.

Suggests that someone has reverse engineered the program and set up a server to feed sbspopulate while working on a revised version. Or the source code was provided to allow this. If a sum of money has passed between the interested parties following an agreement, a good outcome.

Otherwise?

[Edit]
QuoteWhat i know is that the domain / website was free to register for use, and Michel bought that domain.

While the website may have been free to register, that does not mean the software from the website was included UNLESS a deal has been agreed with the software copyright holder. Copyright does not lapse on death of author.

Anmer

My understanding is SBSPopulate has not been updated and earlier versions should work, including 32 bit (I can't test this myself).

I'm told DutchRadar.nl has acquired the original SBSPopulate domain and built an aircraft database to match the original.

So, instead of accessing a GAS database, SBSPopulate now accesses an identical one, albeit operated by DutchRadar.nl.

DutchRadar.nl has "intercepted" the server requests from SBSPopulate.  Innovative and neat.

But that doesn't, in itself, negate the issue of copyright.
Here to Help.

Smudger98

Just to query in basic daftness non tekky speak..

Does this mean the SBSPOP i have installed already should work.. if i hit the autopop button the data comes from DutchRadar.nl. and will update any items not listed in my sqb file ??  or thats the theory..

Ta,
Smudger.
Tomorrow is not Guaranteed  - So make the most of to-day !!!
SBS-1 User and a Tecno Numpty !!

Anmer

Quote from: Smudger98 on February 02, 2021, 09:08:19 AM
Does this mean the SBSPOP i have installed already should work.. if i hit the autopop button the data comes from DutchRadar.nl. and will update any items not listed in my sqb file ??  or thats the theory..

If you have an existing 64 bit version (Maybe someone with a 32 bit can test?) it should work as before.  I haven't tested all the features but, as you say, that's the theory.
Here to Help.

Pipo

Quote from: Smudger98 on February 02, 2021, 09:08:19 AM
Just to query in basic daftness non tekky speak..

Ta,
Smudger.

The database has +/- 450.000 hex-codes so it would populate your sqb if a encodes is not listed. We are looking to keep database up2date with a release of a website that users can add missing hex-code info (like operator, aircraft-type, registration etc).

Uniden UBC125XLT

Smudger98

Thanks chaps,

My single updates are done by ADLite with data from Airframes or rzjets, but if the auto now works on SBSPop then it is indeed good news..

Im running the 64 version on my current install..

Anmer

Quote from: Smudger98 on February 02, 2021, 09:25:14 AM
My single updates are done by ADLite with data from Airframes or rzjets,

You can do the same using SBSPopulate.  Or use it to lookup the code on the DutchRadar.nl server and Update your sqb file:

Enter hex Code -> GAS Load -> Update

Easier than using ADLite and manually entering the data from Airframes etc.
Here to Help.

Smudger98

Ok.. so i had sbspop running as autopop, the update option was set to update from gas..   
Buuutttt had 42449C, VQ-BWS    Boeing 747-467 /F B744 LGT - Longtail Aviation blipped up and would not auto pop - worked fine when i run it as a single record.. am i being too keen and expecting too much yet..?   :-\

Smudger.

Anmer

Auto Populate is working - sometimes, see attached.  But some records are being overlooked.

I tried running ADLite to see if that was working with the new server database.  But it ins't.

Here to Help.

Smudger98

Im not getting the populated ones shown.. or the 1 i know of..  it says auto is running but not seemingly to update..

Anmer

As I mentioned earlier, Auto Populate is working for me.  But I can't be sure it's working for all unknowns.

Do you see the window "Populated this A-P Session" window?

Mine now shows three populated aircraft.

Have you set the database path correctly?

Here to Help.