Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 05:23:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Latest Basestation Release

Started by Chris-G0WTZ, February 24, 2012, 11:59:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian K

Better make sure this is moved to the SBS-3 topic rather than the SBS-1
Ian

Smudger98

Quote from: Ian K on February 24, 2012, 12:07:21 PM
Better make sure this is moved to the SBS-3 topic rather than the SBS-1

Done..
Tomorrow is not Guaranteed  - So make the most of to-day !!!
SBS-1 User and a Tecno Numpty !!

Anmer

I'm sure Chris won't mind if I post the full text here with the link to the original post.

This update deserves a wide distribution.

Well done Chris and the Kinetic team.

http://www.kinetic-avionics.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14574&start=90#p120514

We have listened to your wishes and we are happy to announce our latest update for the SBS-3

Here are the Updates

SBS-3 Firmware L_0107_0000_0113_R_SBS3.kff

1. Mode A/C decoding
Mode A/C data can now be output. Works with Beamfinder Plus.
2. Ethernet LED
The yellow Ethernet LED now comes on whenever a socket connection is established with the SBS-3. This is to support stand alone data operation without BaseStation.
3. Bugfixes
Fixed a problem with some output data getting lost on ethernet Fixed a problem with noise on the analog audio output

BaseStation v168

1. Stand alone operation of SBS-3
A new "Stand Alone Data" tab has been added to the Non-Volatile Memory settings screen. This allows you to turn on various data options for stand alone operation, without BaseStation. The reason for the settings is to control the amount of network bandwidth used.
Note - these settings apply to subsequent operation without BaseStation. When you run BaseStation, these settings are ignored. Instead use the Settings-Data Settings screen.
Note - Mode S messages with DF= 4, 5, 20, 21, and 11 (with PI = 0) are enabled as standard, as well as ADS-B / TIS-B / ADS-R messages.
Enable mode S air-air replies - enables output of DF 0 and 16 messages Enable other Mode S messages - enables other Mode S messages including DF 11 with nonzero PI field Enable mode A/C replies - enables output of mode A and C data Enable Digital Audio Packets - outputs RAW digital audio data (16 bit 16 KHz mono or stereo).
2. Mode A/C Pass-through to port 30006
For the SBS-3, a checkbox has been added to the Data Settings tab to enable output of Mode A/C data on BaseStationʼs raw data output (port 30006). Enabling this will increase network usage significantly.
3. Stereo Audio Streaming
The audio streaming output from BaseStation is now in stereo for the SBS-3.
4. Improved network performance
Changes have been made to speed up the reception of data by BaseStation over the network.
5. Setting the name for radio stations
A "Set Name" button has been added to the pop-out tuning buttons on the SBS-3 Radio Control Panel. This allows the station name to be set which will then be stored when you save the frequency to a pre-set button.
6. Pre-set Tuning
On the SBS-3 Radio Control Panel, if a pre-set button is used to set the frequency of an SDR channel, and it is outt of range of the 8MHz bandwidth of its associated tuner, the tuner will now be adjusted to centre on the new frequency, making tuning using presets a one-step operation.
7. Stand alone operation of the SDR radio
A Radio tab has been added to the SBS-3 Non Volatile Memory settings screen. A button allows all of the SDR settings to be written to the SBS-3 NV memory so that they will be used on power up, without BaseStation.
A second button allows the settings in the Non Volatile memory to be returned to their default state (radios will be left powered down when the SBS-3 is powered up stand- alone).

Changes apply to use with the SBS-3 only.

1. Re-sizeable SDR control panel
The control panel can now be resized and has scroll bars. BaseStation remembers the size and position of the panel on shut down.
2. Saving settings on shut down
BaseStation now saves the current settings (such as frequency and squelch) for the tuners, SDR channels and audio mixer on shut down.
3. Presets
The preset buttons from the SBS-1eR control panel have been implemented. They appear in the pop-up frequency entry panel and operate on the SDR channel to the left of the panel.
4. Frequency lists
The frequency lists from the Internal Radio menu, toolbar button or radar screen pop-up menu can be used to set the frequency on the SDRʼs. It operates on the currently highlighted SDR channel on the control panel, although the control panel does not have to be visible to use this feature. If the SDR channel goes out of range of the 8MHz bandwidth of its associated tuner, the tuner will be adjusted to centre on the new frequency, making this a one-step operation.
5. Mute and volume up/down toolbar buttons
These toolbar buttons now operate on the master gain and mute controls of both the analog and digital channels at the same time.
6. Other
A spurious edit box has been removed on the SBS-3 hardware settings screen. Some messages referring to the SBS-1 have been changed.

This can all be found at our new support area of the new web site http://www.kinetic.co.uk/newsite/support.php
Along with great news for the programmers out there

For those unfamiliar with updating here is the simple way to do it

Download the file and unzip to a desktop folder

For the Basestation software update go to your current desktop shortcut right click on it and select open in file location
This opens a folder containing your current BAsestation exe file simply replace it with the new one

For the Firmware in the Desktop folder right click on the L_0107_0000_0113_R_SBS3.kff file and select open with and point it to the SBS3FirmwareUploader.exe and it will update your firmware

Please note this is only for the SBS-3 and the unit needs to be connected by USB. Do to the large memory of the SBS-3 this will take about 5 minutes so if you have a notebook ensure it is connected to mains power supply before you start the update

As usual all for free

Check back soon more to come

Enjoy

The Kinetic Team
Chris Taylor
Kinetic
Here to Help.

viking9

Well done, Kinetic.

DON'T FORGET TO DISCONNECT THE 1090 ANTENNA WHEN UPDATING THE FIRMWARE!
Tom

gwilliums

Are there any updates in this for sbs1-er?
"That's all very well, but fine words butter no parsnips!"
Captain Mainwaring ( Dad's Army )

Anmer

Here to Help.

MIXISM

if I store the radio setting in the non-vol tab. power cycling the sbs the radio turn back on to the stored freq.  nice.
Later

viking9

Stereo streaming working fine too.
Tom

MIXISM

Not sure if this is a problem or not but the wband left right not working right with fm radio stations. audio sounds better You don't get the high pitch sound any more.
Later

stonosnr

With the new release PP should run without booting up BaseStation. I'm running with the unit in the loft connected by Ethernet to the computer down in my shack. I don't know how I first acquired a local IP address for my computer, but it is in the range 192.168.0.xxx. I've methodically had to change any additions to my network, i.e. Belcom Router, Netgear stuff, SBS from 192.168.1.xxx to my own system. All work, so I thought not a problem when I set up the SBS3, I just changed it via the non volatile connections menu.
This now seems to have thrown up a snag when connecting in stand alone mode to PP using the Port 30006. Every parameter is set up exactly as described for an Ethernet system, but maybe that 0 instead of the 1 that the programmers used when sorting it all out will prove to be critical. Have I somehow got to reset everything on my system to a 192.168.1.xxx address in order to use the stand alone feature please, or is there a cunning way to avoid this cumbersome task. Maybe you cannot change the computer local IP anyway?

Peter

Anmer

Quote from: stonosnr on February 25, 2012, 02:54:16 PM
I don't know how I first acquired a local IP address for my computer, but it is in the range 192.168.0.xxx.

The router will issue the local IP address range and attached device addresses.  An exception being an SBS-1 which has a default address of 192.168.1.170.

Can you ping 192.168.1.170?  If not, usinga USB connection, you should be able to change the default SBS-3 IP address to one that's compatible to your local IP address range.
Here to Help.

stonosnr

Tried pinging when I first received it, no response so changed it to one within my 192.168.0.xxx range and all OK. However, instructions for running PP without booting up BS is that you set the SBS3 address within PP. I'm using Ethernet, so it would be 192.168.0.xxx:30006.
30006 is the port where data is supposed to be available, but it isn't! I'm just wondering if this 30006 is actually tied into the SBS3 IP default which as you say, is in the 192.168.1.xxx. It seems that as I changed the default IP address, it is up to me to find exactly where this data is. I know that some can be tapped off from 10001 but guess that this is not ideal.

Peter

Anmer

When you run PP using your SBS-3 IP address, have you closed Basestation?
Here to Help.