Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 06:08:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

AirNav Comstation Teardown

Started by GregoryGHarding, September 13, 2015, 08:08:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anmer

Here to Help.

junglejet

Gregory,

can you post a closer-in photo of the RF part of the upper PCB, too, please?

This is the area just behind the SMA connector.

It seems there are no SAW filters in this area and the whole setup reminds me of this small silver box that was on the market for some time, but disappeared 3 years ago or so, which name I forgot (but Anmer will remember)

Andy

Anmer

Quote from: junglejet on September 14, 2015, 12:08:07 PM
It seems there are no SAW filters in this area and the whole setup reminds me of this small silver box that was on the market for some time, but disappeared 3 years ago or so, which name I forgot (but Anmer will remember)

Hi Andy

Do you mean the PlaneGadget?

http://radarspotting.com/forum/index.php/topic,320.msg1823.html#msg1823
Here to Help.

tarbat

Quote from: GregoryGHarding on September 13, 2015, 08:08:55 AMi've connected up the USB and installed some serial drivers, i can connect to the box but it just repeats its product name and serial number.

Might be worth trying the Radarbox software, and see if it detects the CommStation.

http://www.airnavsystems.com/Radarbox/support.html

tarbat

Quote from: Anmer on September 13, 2015, 08:41:06 AMThe absence of an HDMI interface and SD card slot could prove a bit of a challenge to diagnose issues and upgrade firmware/software.

Previous Airnav hardware - ShipTrax - updated firmware via. the USB/serial interface.

Anmer

Quote from: tarbat on September 14, 2015, 03:06:36 PM
Previous Airnav hardware - ShipTrax - updated firmware via. the USB/serial interface.

And we all know how well that sold!

But seriously, is installing the software on a board component a good idea?
Here to Help.

tarbat

Quote from: Anmer on September 14, 2015, 03:16:55 PMBut seriously, is installing the software on a board component a good idea?

It probably is if the vendor is more interested in keeping the firmware secure.

Anmer

Quote from: tarbat on September 14, 2015, 03:25:14 PM

Depends on the component's reliability.  Time will tell, assuming the CommStation gets installed in sufficient numbers to measure field performance.

Interesting that Pi and Beaglebone alternatives use SD cards.
Here to Help.

GregoryGHarding

Quote from: tarbat on September 14, 2015, 03:02:35 PM
Quote from: GregoryGHarding on September 13, 2015, 08:08:55 AMi've connected up the USB and installed some serial drivers, i can connect to the box but it just repeats its product name and serial number.

Might be worth trying the Radarbox software, and see if it detects the CommStation.

http://www.airnavsystems.com/Radarbox/support.html

That was the obvious route, I never write that in my original posting because I thought that was the given

GregoryGHarding

Gregory,

can you post a closer-in photo of the RF part of the upper PCB, too, please?

This is the area just behind the SMA connector.

Andy

It's back together now. But give me a few hours and il see what I can do

junglejet

Exactly, Mike.
Mmm, seems I am getting old ...  ???

Quote from: Anmer on September 14, 2015, 12:13:57 PM

Hi Andy

Do you mean the PlaneGadget?

http://radarspotting.com/forum/index.php/topic,320.msg1823.html#msg1823

GregoryGHarding

Quote from: tarbat on September 14, 2015, 03:25:14 PM
Quote from: Anmer on September 14, 2015, 03:16:55 PMBut seriously, is installing the software on a board component a good idea?

They seem to be all about security. This is the first company I've encountered  that asks you to host equipment for them using your resources and doesn't even let you access the raw feed. I was directed to radarbox24.com after emailing them telling them I cannot access data via regular ports or serial.

Anmer

Quote from: GregoryGHarding on September 14, 2015, 06:41:35 PM
They seem to be all about security. This is the first company I've encountered  that asks you to host equipment for them using your resources and doesn't even let you access the raw feed. I was directed to radarbox24.com after emailing them telling them I cannot access data via regular ports or serial.

In the 8 years I've had dealings with AirNav Systems (aka Andre Brandao), "paranoid" is the word that first springs to mind.

If Brandao had spent more time on understanding business and what makes for success instead of telling everyone that he's the biggest and best, claims that were easily shot down, he wouldn't have been surpassed by the likes of Kinetic, Flightradar24 and FlightAware.

Hosts invest time, electricity, bandwidth and cash (erecting the obligatory external antenna) and justifiably expect something in return.  AirNav always wants everything for nothing and even helps itself to RadarBox owners bandwidth without their expressed permission.

One to avoid.
Here to Help.

Anmer

Quote from: junglejet on September 14, 2015, 06:40:25 PM
Mmm, seems I am getting old ...  ???

You sure are, along with everyone else here.  ???
Here to Help.

GregoryGHarding

Quote from: Anmer on September 14, 2015, 07:03:26 PM
Quote from: GregoryGHarding on September 14, 2015, 06:41:35 PM

In the 8 years I've had dealings with AirNav Systems (aka Andre Brandao), "paranoid" is the word that first springs to mind.

If Brandao had spent more time on understanding business and what makes for success instead of telling everyone that he's the biggest and best, claims that were easily shot down, he wouldn't have been surpassed by the likes of Kinetic, Flightradar24 and FlightAware.

Hosts invest time, electricity, bandwidth and cash (erecting the obligatory external antenna) and justifiably expect something in return.  AirNav always wants everything for nothing and even helps itself to RadarBox owners bandwidth without their expressed permission.

One to avoid.

This benefit to me is the antenna, I have parts in post to build my own splitter,then gonna run the rbcs, and a few dongles for modes, acars etc