Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 05, 2024, 09:07:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

SBS-3 Firmware Update

Started by mhm, April 22, 2012, 10:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhm

2012-04-21
AIS NMEA decoding built into SBS-3 firmware
Kinetic is delighted to announce the release of the latest firmware on Monday 23rd April 2012 for the SBS-3 which features AIS NMEA decoding directly within the SBS-3 without any need for an additional PC.

Simply open a connection to the SBS-3 and receive a stream of VHF AIS data, as well as Mode-S data, without the requirment to waste money on additional receivers and decoders. Our Beta team have successfully tested the firmware which has been proven to work with PlanePlotter, ShipPlotter and CombiPlotter from COAA

With internal ACARS decoding and UAT decoding scheduled for development, we look forward to a busy development and delivery timetable, and as standard with Kinetic - firmware updates are FREE of charge.Chris Taylor
Kinetic
KineticChris
Site Admin

Private message
http://www.kinetic-avionics.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15246
Mike
Colon Cancer Survivor for the Time Being

Anmer

The new firmware is now available from Kinetic's website,  It's only relevant to AIS output.

http://www.kinetic.co.uk/newsite/basestationdownloads.php#2

The Kinetic website provides two files:

The firmware
L_0109_0000_0115_R_SBS3.kff

The firmware uploader
progUSBLattice.exe
If you plan to update the firmware please make sure you follow the instructions carefully:

1. Close Basestation
2. Remove all antenna connections from the SBS-3
3. Connect via USB not Ethernet.
4. Place the two files in the same folder
5. Right click on the firmware file and select "Open With"  and then navigate to the firmware uploader.

The firmware update will commence in a DOS/Command window and will take about 8 minutes to complete.  During this time make sure there is continual power for the PC, either mains or via a fully charged battery.

When the update is complete the DOS/Commands window will close.  Reconnect the antennae, launch Basestation and check About Basestation to check that it's showing the latest firmware.

[Attachment deleted by Admin to save file space]
Here to Help.

MIXISM

So I take it that AIS is not going to over lay into the basestation software. ?
Later    :'(

Anmer

If you're asking if AIS plots will appear on the Basestation map, it doesn't look like it - yet?
Here to Help.

BigRed

Mike and Co,

So this update isnt really relevent for the average BS / PP user?

Bit confussed here  8)

CAM

Anmer

The firmware appears to only be of use for those wishing to plot ships with AIS.
Here to Help.

shakysen

Hi All .The best of both worlds.Still enjoying this side of the box.
AIS on the lappy. Looking forward to the ACARS&UAT side to come yummy yummy. As Tom would say read the manuals!!!!!. Which is what I intend to do. Could anyone recommend a good reading list for above modes.

Regards Billko

Anmer

You can receive ACARS messages today.  You just need something to decode them, such as PlanePotter.

UAT may not be too much use for those of us in Europe.

"Specific to US airspace – and not approved elsewhere – is the UAT datalink transmitter as an alternative to the Mode S transponder. UAT transmitters may only be used on GA aircraft flying at lower altitudes in the USA."

http://www.trig-avionics.com/adsb.html
Here to Help.

shakysen

Good Morning Anmer .Many thanks will have a look at your suggestion about pp.

Billko

MIXISM

Sorry Mike I think the link you posted is more  fiction then fact.

" If you are flying outside the USA, there is no choice – the only approved solution is Mode S. That is also true for large aircraft and high altitude aircraft in the USA – you must use Mode S. If however you are flying a GA aircraft in the US, you may instead elect to use a UAT solution.

A UAT solution will almost certainly be more expensive than a Mode S based solution, because the Mode S ADS-B solution is built into many existing ATC transponders, whereas the UAT solution is a separate datalink radio. "

Mode A&C are still a standard in many parts of the world. The UAT well be alot cheaper then a mode S/ADS-B transponder.
Keep going Kinetic!

Later

Anmer

The original question was about UAT and the link was to an article about ADS-B and the next generation avionics.

What part of the article is "fiction"?

The link itself was "fact".
Here to Help.

Roadrunner

Quote from: Anmer on April 23, 2012, 06:13:01 PM
The Kinetic website provides two files:

The firmware
L_0108_0000_0114_R_SBS3.kff

The firmware uploader
progUSBLattice.exe

Anmer,

For in formation as I had not seen this post before I upgraded my SBS3s firmware. I downloaded both the above files to the same place as when I did the previous upgrade but when I selected L_0108_0000_0114_R_SBS3.kff OPEN WITH it found the original file used last time but it still did the upgrade without problems.

Regards

Mike

Just f

Anmer

Thanks Mike.

I think it's the same uploader file but was renamed last time.

It might be easier if Kinetic stuck to a file naming convention and used the same names for the same files.

And issue upgrade instructions each time.
Here to Help.

Tracker

Quote from: Anmer on April 25, 2012, 04:52:03 PM
Thanks Mike.

I think it's the same uploader file but was renamed last time.

It might be easier if Kinetic stuck to a file naming convention and used the same names for the same files.

And issue upgrade instructions each time.

Why would they want to make things easier for the customer?

Anmer

Quote from: Tracker on April 25, 2012, 06:19:22 PM
Why would they want to make things easier for the customer?

Because we have a choice.  ;)
Here to Help.