Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 01:37:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Help with networking SBS-1er

Started by egnx, August 22, 2018, 10:12:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

egnx

Hi,

I've been using my SBS-1er for many happy years via USB but I now need to use it via Ethernet.

I have followed Mike's guide to change the ip address of the SBS box and despite an initial hiccup managed to successfully follow all the steps if I used Firefox to manage the Lantronix web config manager. The update progress bar progresses ok, but there never does seem to be a unit (SBS?) reboot, so I powered it off and then back on.

All settings are as per the instructions (triple checked) and I can ping the SBS on 192.168.0.172 as required.

I ran basestation and changed the hardware settings, changed data source to network, shut down basestation and restarted it, but it never connects to the box.

Does anyone have any suggesions ? I understand from browsing the forum that there was a utility to reset the Lantronix interface back to default is this still available (Mike) ?

Regards
Kelvin

Triple7

How are you connecting the LAN cable? Via a switch / router or directly to your PC. If the latter are you using a cross-over cable?

Tim
SBS-1eR, FA ProStick + 1090 filter

egnx

connection is via router, I have checked out the setup (cable to router etc) with my SBS-3 and that  all works ok. I can connect and run via network with the SBS-3 ok.

The sbs-1er runs Basestation fine from usb but if i change it to network it doesn't. I can ping it and get replies ok from it via the network, but not connect basestation to it.

Anmer

Can I check what model SBS you have?  In the first post you mention SBS-1eR and in the second SBS-3.

And what port number did you set in the BaseStation Settings->Hardware Settings->Network?
Here to Help.

egnx

I have both a 3 and a 1er. The 3 works via the network fine, it is the 1er that i have the problem with.

From BS the network hardware settings are 192.168.0.172 port 10001

Anmer

Thanks Kelvin.

What's the IP address and port number for the SBS-3?
Here to Help.

egnx

Hi,
settings for the SBS-3 are 192.168.0.173 port 10001

Please note they are never both connected at the same time.

Anmer

Thanks.

Just to recap and check my understanding.

You can ping 192.168.0.172 when the SBS-1eR is connected to your router using an Ethernet cable?

Do you see any LED light activity at the SBS-1eR Ethernet port when you ping it?

Do you see any blue lights on the SBS-1eR?

When you launch BaseStation, set to connect to the SBS-1eR using Ethernet, what happens?  Does it launch OK?  Is the screen empty of aircraft?

Silly question.  How are you powering the SBS-1eR when you're using Ethernet?
Here to Help.

egnx

I can ping 192.168.0.172 when connected to router via ethernet.

on the front the red & 3 blue lights show and on the back there is a solid green and a flashing green on the ethernet port.

basestation launches ok (and if connected by usb shows connected and aircraft) if set to network connection it launches ok but always shows as not connected in the status bar at the bottom and shows no aircraft

Power is via 12v 1.5amp psu to the SBS1-er and power switch on the back is slid to the right next to the input cable.

Anmer

Thanks.

Have you tried this with the USB cable removed?
Here to Help.

egnx

Yes, always removed the USB cable when connected it to the network.

Anmer

Sorry been out this morning, just got back.

I;m guessing the port number is not 10001.

Maybe try the Lantronix address change again and pay particular attention to the port number part.

If that fails, we could try resetting the SBS-1eR Ethernet module to 192.168.1.170:10001 and start again.
Here to Help.

egnx

Hi,
I am currently at work so only have occasional access to the forum.

I've already tried re-setting the ip address and port a few times and definately put 10001 in the port.

One thing that I can see that seems slightly odd is that when I use the "Lantronix DeviceInstaller" to look at the Xport config it shows the details of it all ok but when you go to the "device config" tab it gives an error "invalid ip address" but all the other tabs where you can see the ip address and other details shows it correctly and shows the port correctly as well.
(The tab may not be exactly "Device Config" but it is something like that, being at work I can't see a screenshot of it at the moment).

The other thing that seems slightly odd during the reset using the Web config (as per your instruction guide) is that it mentions a "unit reboot" which I assume means the SBS-1er but I don't see any evidence of that taking place, does it happen in a split second ?

I was contemplating doing a reset to factory defaults, but am a little wary of this as they might be different from the Kinetic defaults ?

Anmer

I'll send you the Zip file with the Ethernet Module reset utility.  That will set the IP and port back to 192.168.1.170:10001.

Then try Lantronix again.
Here to Help.

Anmer

I tried to send the Zip to your email address but it was blocked by your ISP because the content was suspicious.

I'll send the message again without the attachment but with a link to download it.
Here to Help.